DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Through a (scanner) glass

I need to scan some irreplaceable family photos, and my scanner glass has not been cleaned in at least 8 years.

What should I use to clean the glass? Windex?

And what about the underside of the lid? It's a sort of flexible thin plastic sheet over a foamy layer, IIRC. I can't check right now, because of all the stuff I have piled up on top of the scanner (am too lazy to move it).

It's an ancient HP IIcx, if that matters. I suspect it doesn't.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
I always use stuff that's sold for cleaning computer screens. Seems to work OK.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
I need to scan some irreplaceable family photos, and my scanner glass has not been cleaned in at least 8 years.

No fluids at all - they may leave remnants on the surface. Simply use a good-quality micro fiber cloth - dry if possible. You may need to take the thing apart to be able to clean the inside of the glass where a thin film may be as a result of re-condensation of lubricants used in the mechanism. Use microfiber for this, too.

To check, completely darken the room, leave open the scanner lid, and do a scan.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:

And what about the underside of the lid? It's a sort of flexible thin plastic sheet over a foamy layer, IIRC. I can't check right now, because of all the stuff I have piled up on top of the scanner (am too lazy to move it).

It's an ancient HP IIcx, if that matters. I suspect it doesn't.

mxh
Confirming the use of a dry cloth -- here's a link to HP's maintenance recommendations for the 2cx (and others).

It's interesting to see what they say about marks on the underside of the glass since it used to be one of the frequent questions when I was part of TeamHP on Compuserve.

You are not alone in using antiques. I am still using my SJ5P and the SJ2? was only passed on to charity recently <g>

On the "pressure pad" it's a weird material that looks white but shows up a sickly greeny color if you scan something small. I doubt it shows through anything you scan but if you have dark marks it might on scanning something thin and white?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
gary

I found Pledge "grab-it" Dry Cloths (pack of16) at Cub - for use on my LCD screens.
They are not supposed to leave any residue.
"...can be used for hand dusting ... electonics.."

P.S: Open on dotted line (across front) as the package specifies, not at the end. (Miniscule instructions are hard to read without glasses.)
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
marlene
Staff

Quote:
I always use stuff that's sold for cleaning computer screens.
That's easy enough -- I'm often near a CompUSA. Will check it out.

mxh
Old 11-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

Quote:
No fluids at all - they may leave remnants on the surface. Simply use a good-quality micro fiber cloth - dry if possible. You may need to take the thing apart to be able to clean the inside of the glass where a thin film may be as a result of re-condensation of lubricants used in the mechanism. Use microfiber for this, too.
I've got some new microfiber cloths, and can give this a try, but I'm not sure they will work well without liquid. Maybe if I breathe heavily on the scanner glass ... <g>

And I am too frightened to take the scanner apart to get at the underside of the glass. I might never get it back together again, and then I'll have to go out and buy a new scanner (which would probably cost me a fifth of what I paid for this one!).

mxh
Old 11-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Confirming the use of a dry cloth -- here's a link to HP's maintenance recommendations for the 2cx (and others).
Great link, thanks.

It does call for using a small amount of liquid cleaner (it lists approved brands) on the "dry" cloth.

That IS interesting to read what it says about the underside:

"Fingerprints or smudges under the glass do not affect the appearance of scanned images as they are outside the range of focus for the scanner."

But it gives me a good excuse not to try cleaning the underside. <g>

Quote:
On the "pressure pad" it's a weird material that looks white but shows up a sickly greeny color if you scan something small. I doubt it shows through anything you scan but if you have dark marks it might on scanning something thin and white?
I'm not worried about anything on the pressure pad showing up outside the edges of my photos -- I was thinking there might be some sticky stuff on the pressure pad, possibly from scanning photos that had had sticky tape removed from the backs. Sometimes I get photos from my clients that are actually stuck together, because of the sticky residue on the backs. I peel them apart carefully and put clear tape over the residue (I ain't gonna try to remove it).

Anyway, I don't want any leftover sticky residue getting on the backs of these priceless family photos.

mxh
Old 11-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
marlene
Staff

Quote:
I found Pledge "grab-it" Dry Cloths
Interesting, I've never heard of those. No problems creating static on the LCD screens?

I just realized my monitor glass could use a good cleaning. All I've ever done in all the years I've had it is to breathe heavily on smudges and then wipe them with my t-shirt sleeve. Very professional.

mxh
Old 11-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
gary

Quote:
Very professional.
I used a box of (lotion-free) Kleenex for that (and my computer glasses)
gary is offline   Reply With Quote