DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.
Default Horsey Folks: Wish us luck!

My husband and I have become horse show photographers.
Wish us luck!
If you want to see our work, check out www.nelsonpics.com
We don't have anything as nice as Terrie's photo, but we'll work on it

Best regards to all,
Michele
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
terrie
Sysop

Hey!!! Long time no hear...hope you are doing well...

Love!!! the pic and caption on your "who we are page"...'-}}

A few suggestions for your website...

1. Don't assume that everyone knows where you are or where Vacaville is...put your state in on all your pages

2. On your "who we are" pages: assuming there are indeed 2 of you, who is the other person--name please

3. On your "who we are" pages: something like:

"We are located in xxx, xxx and shoot shows in xxx - xxx area. We will also come to your location to do a custom shoot".

Or something like that....

4. You also need more identification on your home page--who you are, where you shoot, etc.

>> We don't have anything as nice as Terrie's photo, but we'll work on it

Thank you very much...shooting shows doesn't often lend itself to "artistic" shots...'-}}

Hope the new business goes well...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Well, no horsey type here, but I wish you luck anyway.

Nice shot on the web page, too.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
michelen

I haven't been around in a while. A lot going on. Like starting a business, for instance.

Thanks for the kind words, and also for the good advice. I will discuss your comments with my husband, Mark (the other person in the "Who We Are" photo) who is the web master.

We both shoot. We shoot raw files with Nikon D-70s. Mark does the initial batch processing (after we both do some ruthless editing). Then we do some cropping, straightening, etc. Then Mark creates the jpegs and gets the galleries up. When we get orders, I do the final retouching, color correction, etc. and create final files for the lab. Mark drops off and picks up things from the lab. I do the books. It seems to be working out so far.

As you can see, we've only done a few shows so far, but the response has been pretty good. We've already booked a couple of shows next season, including a 3-day affair in Santa Cruz.

I have a pretty demanding full-time job--these days I am Prepress Manager at Mac Publishing--so it's convenient that Mark doesn't have a job at the moment. We need to make enough money at this so he doesn't have to get one

One advantage that we have is that I showed horses for a long time, so I am familiar with what goes on at horse shows and, I thought, what kind of photos will sell. Interestingly, we've sold quite a few portait shots--Mark is better at those than I am. I think it's good that we have different styles. We've probably sold a few more of his shots than mine.

Thanks again for the advice and best wishes.

Regards,
Michele
Old 11-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
michelen

Thanks, KT.

In real life, I work for Mac Publishing now. It's kind of hard to explain, but I am part of the MacWorld crew. Sort of.

I'm glad you like the home page shot. That's Picasso. He is a 4-year old Shetland Pony stallion. I am in love with him.

No, he's not mine. But he is partially responsible for this little business venture. We got such great photos of him we though, gee, I wonder if there's any money in this?

We'll find out.

Regards,
Michele
Old 11-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Well, great good wishes for you, and your venture!

Don’t be a stranger around here.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
michele: I will discuss your comments with my husband, Mark (the other person in the "Who We Are" photo) who is the web master.
I recently started a part-time job where I work with a lot of different websites and it drives me nuts when there is an assumption that people know where the site originates (so to speak)...'-}}

>>We both shoot. We shoot raw files with Nikon D-70s. Mark does the initial batch processing (after we both do some ruthless editing). Then we do some cropping, straightening, etc. Then Mark creates the jpegs and gets the galleries up. When we get orders, I do the final retouching, color correction, etc. and create final files for the lab.

You should put something like this on your website--not too techie but something like this is informative...

>>we've sold quite a few portait shots--Mark is better at those than I am. I think it's good that we have different styles. We've probably sold a few more of his shots than mine.

It's in this area that I think you will make the most $$$...there is a local equine photographer who is just fabulous--Janet Hitchen. Her website doesn't really do justice to the work of hers that I've seen in local equine pulications but this page will give you an idea...

>>Thanks again for the advice and best wishes.

You're welcome...keep us posted...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 11-14-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
michelen

Terrie,

Thanks for the info. I checked out Janet Hitchen's website--very, very nice stuff.

We've got another schooling show next Sunday. I think I might try some "artsy" stuff, just for fun. After all, in this digital world, "film" is cheap.

Regards,
Michele
Old 11-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
michele: Thanks for the info.
You're welcome...

>>I checked out Janet Hitchen's website--very, very nice stuff.

Yeah...she has a wonderful eye...

>>We've got another schooling show next Sunday. I think I might try some "artsy" stuff, just for fun. After all, in this digital world, "film" is cheap.

LOL!! Indeed...I like taking shots from what might be considered odd or unusual angles...doesn't always work but sometimes you can get some really cool stuff...

Had an idea for your website...it might be useful to put up and example of a "standard" show shot (as it comes from the camera) and then an "after" shot showing what you guys do to make the shot special...

Did you get my reply to your email? If not, let me know and I'll send it again...

Terrie
Old 11-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
michelen

Terrie,

Yes, I got your very informative e-mail, thanks a bunch. Mark is interested. Most web sites drive him crazy for various reasons, so he might be a good rater.

I like your idea of running the before and after shots. I'll run it by the webmaster.

There is a guy who shoots locally who is a "sports" photographer. He's got some of the shows we want. He doesn't know or care about horses. He doesn't edit anything; he just throws everything up on a web site and the customer is supposed to wade through hundreds of shots and then choose the crop they want through a rather laborious process. I found it slow and awkward with DSL, folks with dial-up haven't got a prayer.

I contacted the manager of one local summer series, and she is very interested in giving us a try. She was surprised that there were other options for show photography, and was impressed with our web site. This is hunters and jumpers up in the Oakland hills, about three miles from home. Nice gig if we can get it.

Michele