DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Hey — how’s your back? (Mine is not great.)

Old 11-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Hey — how’s your back? (Mine is not great.)
Unfortunately, not any better, and certainly not helped by the fact that I fell over Christmas of 2004 and tore the muscle in the other leg. I limp a lot. I get some relief from anti-inflamatory meds and some pain medication that is non-addictive, but it would be nice to get through one day without pain! My dream!

Old 11-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Unfortunately, not any better . . . but it would be nice to get through one day without pain! My dream!
Oh, you and me both.

Or at least without utterly distracting pain; a little is probably okay.

Nice to see you around here.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Unfortunately, not any better, and certainly not helped by the fact that I fell over Christmas of 2004 and tore the muscle in the other leg. I limp a lot. I get some relief from anti-inflamatory meds and some pain medication that is non-addictive, but it would be nice to get through one day without pain! My dream!
Sorry to hear about your fall. I am afraid of falling myself (especially as we have stone stairs to the shower!)

BTW, do you know the BackPain24-7 group/list on Yahoo? It is better than some of the other lists I have explored, with good (useful) information about what others have tried for pain. (I hate Yahoo groups, so I follow the discussion by e-mail.)

Old 11-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Susie

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your fall. I am afraid of falling myself (especially as we have stone stairs to the shower!)

I understand. I turn very, very carefully. Unfortunately, I'm something of a klutz, so I fall or trip often! The hard part about it is that my doctor wanted to put me in a boot (it was right before I was due to leave for Seattle to spend Christmas with my son), but my insurance company refused to pay for it. As a result, it didn't heal properly, so my right foot curls up at the toes and I have to be very careful about that when walking.

BTW, do you know the BackPain24-7 group/list on Yahoo? It is better than some of the other lists I have explored, with good (useful) information about what others have tried for pain. (I hate Yahoo groups, so I follow the discussion by e-mail.)
No, I didn't know about this group, but I will check it out. Thanks for the reference.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Susie

Thanks, nice to be back here and see some of the same faces.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.

KT,
I have a feeling that I am younger than you, but feeling old. Roughly 5 years ago, I managed to damage my sciatic (sp?) nerve. Never did figure out how. Weeks of chiropractic care did no good, so he sent me to a massage therapist for deep tissue massge. Which helped lots, but is not covered by my insurance. When my Mom started needing $$$ assistance, I had to give it up. It is still is a problem, but not as much as when I first injured it. I still can't stand for long periods of time, and can't sleep on my back.

Now, the knees are going. Which is a real bitch if you like to garden. Or are a horse show photographer who does Shetland Ponies and, worse, miniature horses. Or live in a house with stairs.

What works for you?
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelen View Post
What works for you?
Different things at different times, unfortunately. For a while I was on a witch’s brew of meds, including NSAIDs, Tylenol, neurontin, Percoset, tramadol, and I forget what else. Just keeping track of which to take when made me crazy, and neurontin and tramadol made my mind fuzzy, which I really hated. So I dumped most of them and have been taking 8-hour Tylenol at night and regular Tylenol if needed during the day.

Besides oral meds, I get lumbar facet joint injections of cortisone every three or four months. It helps me, though not everyone. It may depend on the quality of the administration, or it may just be the vagaries of back problems. Physical therapy has been helpful.

But the one thing I have learned through this saga, nothing works for everyone, and nothing works all the time.

Anyway, I was having a sort of sciatica honeymoon, it seems. It ended last week and now I have added ibuprofen again, without great success. I fear something has shifted in my back, changing the pattern I was used to. Seeing my back doctor today, see what he can see, and what he recommends.

I also have knee problems, and saw that doctor yesterday. He wants me to try Celebrex, so guess I will. Beyond that, he plans to inject lubricant (like SynVisc). Although it is temporary, I am looking forward to that.

I also have trouble walking and standing for more than a few minutes. I sleep in a recliner, tricked out like a Rube Goldberg device, with pillows and pads and other cushioning, so I can lie sort of on my left side. Not great, but at least I avoid the agonizing process of getting in and out of bed.

By the way, in general I find cold works better than heat. If you have been trying heating pads without much success, try one of those inexpensive pads (really a stitched bag of pellets that can be heated or cooled) from the drugstore. I keep it in the freezer, and find it helps a lot for pain. Main drawback is that it doesn’t last too long — need a bigger freezer, keep stacks of them in there! <g>

Dratted backs! Why did human beings have to stand up, anyway? We could have learned to write with a pen in our mouths, surely? <g>

Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
Susie

Quote:
By the way, in general I find cold works better than heat. If you have been trying heating pads without much success, try one of those inexpensive pads (really a stitched bag of pellets that can be heated or cooled) from the drugstore. I keep it in the freezer, and find it helps a lot for pain. Main drawback is that it doesn’t last too long — need a bigger freezer, keep stacks of them in there! <g>

Dratted backs! Why did human beings have to stand up, anyway? We could have learned to write with a pen in our mouths, surely? <g>
Thanks for that tip. I certainly wouldn't have thought of cold. Like you, I can't stand for any length of time and that really infuriates me. I've not had shots, yet, but some days I think I'd try just about anything except surgery. I can't sleep on my back either. I've always slept on my left side, but that's where the sicatic is, so that's difficult. I mostly sleep on my right side, but that's not great either. I just want relief!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #10
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.

KT,

Cold, yes. The chiropratic doctor I am currently seeing insists that ice, not heat, is the way to go. I thought he was nuts, but it has helped.

I remember years ago when I was suffering from tendinitis in both elbows (work-related injury from typesetting) they told me to alternate ice and heat. So I would like in a hot bath and soak my elbows for ten minutes, then apply the ice packs for then minutes, then another soak. It actually did do some good.
When I got home from the chiropracter, we didn't have any ice packs, but there was a bag of frozen peas in the freezer. Just the thing for the neck/shoulder.
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote