DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 11-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Chinese Fonts/MS Office in Chinese

After trying to get a simplified Chinese font from Microsoft and getting lost in an apparent requirement for MS Office XP, I am confused.

My wife speaks Mandarin and Cantonese, and is studying Mandarin character reading and writing, but she doesn't have any capability to work with Chinese characters on her Windows XP Home Edition computer. She asked me this morning to install a Chinese font on that computer. We have MS Office 2003, not XP, and I am reluctant to go to the expense of MS Word XP if 2003 can work for her. What should I be doing for her?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Dave:

Quote:
I am reluctant to go to the expense of MS Word XP if 2003
Office 2003 (11) is later than Office 2000 (9) or Office XP (10). Anything Word XP can do, Word 2003 can do better (or as well).

Old 11-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
After trying to get a simplified Chinese font from Microsoft and getting lost in an apparent requirement for MS Office XP, I am confused.

My wife speaks Mandarin and Cantonese, and is studying Mandarin character reading and writing, but she doesn't have any capability to work with Chinese characters on her Windows XP Home Edition computer. She asked me this morning to install a Chinese font on that computer. We have MS Office 2003, not XP, and I am reluctant to go to the expense of MS Word XP if 2003 can work for her. What should I be doing for her?
I don't have Win XP but 2000 (and Office 2000), but installation of MS Chinese fonts should not be basically different - they are either included with Windows (though not necessarily installed yet) or can be retrieved and installed when you visit a website requiring such fonts (you should get a prompt).

There is also a bunch of "general" MS fonts that include the glyphs for Chinese (at least Simplified Chinese, probably also some Traditional Chinese, at least the common charaxcters).

First of all, go to your Fonts folder (under your "windows" directory (whatever it's called on your system) and see what you've got there. Soem fonts have the same names as the "normal" ones but are much larger because of the extra Unicode ranges included

General fonts in Unicode versions that support Chinese on my system - they stand out by their size which is very much larger than simple Latin fonts:
  • Arial Unicode MS - 23566K - this includes Bopomofo, CJK Symbols and Punctuation, CJK Miscellaneous, CJK Compatibility, CJK Unified Ideographs, CJK Compatibility Ideographs, CJK Compatibility Forms
  • Batang / Batang Che /Gungsuh / Gunsuh Che - 15877K - CJK Ideographs, CJK Symbols and Punctuation
  • Gulim / Gulim Che - 13201K - CJK Ideographs, CJK Symbols and Punctuation
  • Ming LiU / PMingLiU - 8617K - Bopomofo, CJK Ideographs, CJK Symbols and Punctuation, Ideographic Symbols, CJK Compatibility Form
  • MS Gothic / MS PGothic / MS UI Gothic - 8079K - CJK Ideographs, CJK Symbols and Punctuation, Ideographic Symbols
  • MS Mincho / MS PMincho - 8922K - CJK Ideographs, CJK Symbols and Punctuation, Ideographic Symbols
  • SimHei - 9808K - Bopomofo, CJK Ideographs, CJK Symbols and Punctuation, Ideographic Symbols, CJK Compatibility Form
  • SimSun / NSimSun - 10255K - Bopomofo, CJK Ideographs, CJK Symbols and Punctuation, Ideographic Symbols, CJK Compatibility Form
Some of these are installed by Microsoft when requesting support for Asian Characters, either in Internet Explorer (when visiting a page that needs it) or in the configuration of Windows itself. The fonts with several names separated by / here are Truetype combination fonts (ext. TTC instead of TTF) with several fonts combined in a single file. In some applications they appear with a @ in front of the file name.

To enable languages in Windows itself, go to Control Panel and selec t Regional Options. Somewhere in there (in W2K on the General tab but probably elsewhere on XP) there is a list of "Language Options" where you can check for which languages you want to have support (I have checked all), but make sure at least Simplified Chinese and optionally Traditional Chinese are checked. Windows may request your installation CD after you do this. Noet you do not need to change the Locale (settings for numbers, currencies, times and dates), but you may want to add an input Locale for one or several variants of Chinese - this will enable typing in Chinese characters; you can assign hot keys or just switch from the tray icon (make sure you put a checkbox for "Enable indicator on taskbar). You will probably need to reboot after changing these settings.
I know the arrangement of these settings on the Regional Options CP applet has changed in XP, so hunt around a bit where is what - I can't tell you...

Office 2000 has a set of "Office Tools" in the Start menu, one of which is Microsoft Office Language Stetting - simply add a checkmark here for Chinese Simplified (and Traditional); I assume Office 2003 will have a similar tool.

If you want to use the "IE" trick, here are a few Chinese sites:
  • http://font.80diy.com/cn/fz/ (a great set of 30 Chinese fonts here, several in both Simplified and Traditional variants, that are directly usable since both file names and embedded font names are in Latin Characters)
  • http://www.sj00.com/sort/2_1.htm (more Chinese fonts, but most need "patching" to change embedded font names into Latin characters)

That should get you started.

Last edited by iamback; 11-11-2006 at 08:23 AM.
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote