DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 11-03-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default font-family: "Comic Sans MS"

Code:
font-family: "Comic Sans MS";
is specified several times in a web site I am modifying.

"Line : 79 (Level : 2) font-family: You are encouraged to offer a generic family as a last alternative : .p3" is what the CSS validation warns me.

I will offer sans-serif as a generic alternative, but I wonder whether there is an alternative to MAC users, who may not have Comic Sans MS as a font, or an alternative in general, other than choices like Tahoma or Helvetica.

http://bancomicsans.com/home.html is a site devoted to banning Comic Sans MS. I must say that I did not design this web site, or pick the fonts.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
font-family: "Comic Sans MS";
is specified several times in a web site I am modifying.
[. . .]
I will offer sans-serif as a generic alternative, but I wonder whether there is an alternative to MAC users, who may not have Comic Sans MS as a font, or an alternative in general, other than choices like Tahoma or Helvetica.
Comic Sans is in the “fantasy” group, so you should probably use that as the generic.

As for Mac (not MAC, btw) users, many do have Comic Sans as it was distributed with Microsoft products. If they do not, using fantasy as the generic should pick up something similar if they have it; otherwise the text will show in their default font. (That would be my preference; I hate reading text set in Comic Sans or its ilk.)

Old 11-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Fantasy Group of Fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Comic Sans is in the “fantasy” group, so you should probably use that as the generic.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#sans-serif-def has a very long description of font specifications as used in CSS. The various font groups are defined, with examples. For Fantasy, the examples are "Latin fonts
Alpha Geometrique, Critter, Cottonwood, FB Reactor, Studz" and Comic Sans MS is not among the examples. I don't have any of the fonts mentioned.

I agree with you that Comic Sans is not a likely choice for me in designing a web site, but I am reluctant to get involved with design decisions like that when my objective is to get the HTML and CSS to validate, and to reduce the number of warnings in the CSS validation. There are 62 warnings in the CSS validation. Warnings about no generic family font are 15 of those warnings.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
I agree with you that Comic Sans is not a likely choice for me in designing a web site,
The client usually makes the choice, but I only have Comic Sans two sites. One is a farmer who likes it! The other is a child psychiatrist who has seen evidence that prose in Comic Sans is more accurately read by people with dyslexia.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

From Lie & Bos’s Cascading Style Sheets: Designing for the Web — the bible on CSS from the people who developed it:
Examples of Fantasy font families: Tekton, Arnold Böcklin, Becker, Blippo, Matisse ITC, Park Avenue, Impact, Curlz MT, Kino MT, Braggadocio, Colonna MT, Comic Sans MS, Desdemona, Davysribbons, Engraver, Old-Town.
Now I would have put Park Avenue in Cursive, but I guess they stick it in fantasy because it is discontinuous. And I would have included Impact (and possibly Blippo) in Sans-serif, but they are clearly display, rather than text, fonts, so I guess they go in Fantasy.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:55 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Lie & Bos: Font families

I have Lie& Bos, Third Edition, but I don't see any list of fonts assigned to font families. There is a description of font families on pp. 94-98, but very few specific fonts are mentioned there. Where did you get the list?

I would think that the practical implementation of font familes would be with how each browser assigns the font to use for display when fantasy, or serif, or whatever, is the font family in the CSS or in the <font> tag.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 11-04-2006 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Addition.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:20 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Font Families Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Here is a different list of font families.

I attach a screen capture from that page which shows the font families and where they are likely to be common. The curious thing there is that there are no examples of fantasy fonts, and Comic Sans MS is shown as cursive. I am going to keep fantasy as the font family after Comic Sans MS in my particular legacy web site, but I would like to understand such matters better than I do now.

This page says that there will be a new set of fonts distributed with Windows Vista. Just what we need, yet another set of Microsoft fonts, and worse yet, only distributed with the latest MS software. This may be a good topic for another thread, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comfonts.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	744  
Old 11-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I have Lie& Bos, Third Edition, but I don't see any list of fonts assigned to font families. There is a description of font families on pp. 94-98, but very few specific fonts are mentioned there. Where did you get the list?
Page 89, illustration 5.6, second edition.

In fact, I wouldn’t worry too much about this. Many users — especially those who enjoy Comic Sans — are likely to have it. Others, like me, would just as soon see my default Verdana.