DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 10-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default Php Bb

This is a PHP BB site, isn't it?

I'm trying to run the install on a new site. How do I tell the install program where the database is?

And what exactly does the database have to be?

I'm a TOTAL newbie at this; I set up a PHP Blog in about 2 minutes (and, much to my amazement, the site even validates on W3C). But before I launch my new site, I want a discussion board as a backup to the special interest blog.

Thanks,

Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle View Post
The language in which this forum software is written is "PHP".
This (commercial) forum software is named "vBulletin" (see bottom of page).
"phpBB" refers to different (free) forum software that is also written in PHP.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Daudio

Quote:
I'm trying to run the install on a new site. How do I tell the install program where the database is?
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/docs/INSTALL.html

I find the phpBB forums very helpful, not too hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff !

I hope you are installing phpBB 2.0.21 and not a Ver. 3 beta

Quote:
And what exactly does the database have to be?
"phpBB uses a database abstraction layer to enable seamless support of several database servers:

* MySQL 3.2x,
* PostgreSQL 7.x,
* Microsoft SQL Server 7/2000
* Microsoft Access (via ODBC)"

MySQL is probably the most popular by far, being open source, like PHP and phpBB, but you have plenty of choice.

I put up a phpBB forum last spring (see link in my sig) , it wasn't too hard, but i spent a fair amount of time in their forums learning details, and I went a bit far in customizing a nice 3rd party Style. I haven't added any mods because I don't want to go through all the work they entail when upgrade time comes...

And when phpBB version 3 is released, it will have the core features I want.

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:

Hey Dennis, nice to see you back.

Why do you want to use PHP BB? what made you select that rather than any other forum software? Maybe version 3 will be better but the current code is a total mess - having seen that I would never install PHP BB... never mind the large community.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:59 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Dennis, phpBB is the most commonly used board package so has an enormous support community. There are a large number of alternative templates available if you don't want to make your own. Most users simply change the default phpBB logo.

The current version has been patched and expanded so often that is it a real code mess, but still remains easy to hack if you want to make your own changes. phpBB3 is now in beta2 and is really very good. I ran it on test for a short while and had no stability problems, and found it reliable - for me and on my server. The code is very much improved, as it has been re-written from the bottom up. It is still not recommended for a production site, but I would have no hesitation in doing so except that there may not be an upgrade path from beta through RC to final. There will, however, be an upgrade path from 2.0.2x to 3.0 final.

If you want to see phpBB3 in action then the official development forum is here.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:18 AM   #6
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Kelvyn,

To get started, I need to know the structure of the database (no. of fields, names, etc.) as I have to create it myself. Is that info online anywhere? The phpBB "help" said "have your host create a database" which isn't very helpful...

Old 10-27-2006, 04:47 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
To get started, I need to know the structure of the database (no. of fields, names, etc.) as I have to create it myself. Is that info online anywhere? The phpBB "help" said "have your host create a database" which isn't very helpful...
"Creating a database" for a package generally does not mean you have to populate it with all the tables. An installation routine will generally ask for a database (so that has to exist, including a valid user for it) and then itself create all the tables needed in that database.

"Database" in MySQL jargon is really nothing but a directory that serves as a 'receptable" for the files that form the tables and their indexes; you will need to create not only that database, but also a user/password with sufficient admin permissions to access it ("sufficient" meaning the user needs to have permission to create and maybe drop tables in addition to do the usual queries to update the data ans get informnation out of it). Do not ever use your "root" user - just create a user for for each application with sufficient (but no more than that) permissions for just that database.

If you have phpMyAdmin on the server you can create the database and user yourself.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Dennis, the explanation from Marjolein will hopefully point you in the right direction. Yes, you need a "database" - with most hosts you would set this up yourself either via your server control panel or with phpMyAdmin. The database will need a name - such as "board", a username (usually the same as the username for the domain hosting account) and a password. These will be asked for by the installer during the installation process. The only other bit of db information that will be required is the hostname, which is usually localhost or 127.0.0.1

The phpBB installation program will run its own SQL query which will create the database tables & fields.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
gary

Quote:
To get started, I need to know the structure of the database (no. of fields, names, etc.) as I have to create it myself.
Actually all you have to do is create the empty database, then the install process (invoked the first time you visit the site) will create the tables
From docs/INSTALL.html:
Quote:
Once you have checked all the data press submit. The installation script will create and populate all the necessary tables.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Default Hi, Dennis

Quote:
At the bottom of every page is a line that says this is a VBulletin web site.

However, we were mentioning you with regard to bad political web sites, elsewhere in this forum. The bad sites are for both parties. Some are pretty funny, unintentionally so, however. Take a look.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote