DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 10-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Clayton

Default Lost My Fonts

Somewhere along the way of system and network upgrades since 1997, I've lost the following fonts:

Jotting (T1)

Aardvark (TT)

Baatang (TT)

I need to update some old company documents that use these fonts. I also have kept my old application CDs from Photoshop 4, Draw 8, Ventura 8, Page Mill, PageMaker 6, Quark 4, and I think (at home) I still have some early ATM diskettes.

Do these font names ring a bell with anybody here? Anyone know offhand where I can find these? I've already looked through the Photoshop, Corel, and Ventura cds but couldn't find those fonts.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
Anyone know offhand where I can find these?
Any of them may have been bundled with some software in your collection.

Otherwise, try these:

Jotting — by S. Salazar; available in a $20 collection.

Aardvark — the name applies to more than one design. The commercial Aardvark (I suspect the more likely) was designed by John Benson, and is available in in regular and bold weights at $40 each.

The other Aardvark, a knockoff of Aachen, is freeware.

Batang — seems to be from Microsoft, distributed with Windows XP (scroll down to the last item on the linked list).

Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
roaryg

I'm pretty sure Aardvark was one of the Corel ones, perhaps from earlier than version 8?
roaryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Clayton

That's what I'm thinking - hope I didn't toss my old Draw 5 CD...

And Jotting - not sure where that came from, but I know I didn't buy it (never had to buy a font in my life) and I think it might be on the Draw 5 CD as well...
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
clayton: hope I didn't toss my old Draw 5 CD...
I have that CD...let me know if you need it or the fonts...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
The other Aardvark, a knockoff of Aachen, is freeware.

Batang — seems to be from Microsoft, distributed with Windows XP (scroll down to the last item on the linked list).
I have an Aardvark - that must be the freeware version. It has a bunch of characters (or most, even, maybe all?) in non-standard positions - hardly usable.

I also have Batang (and BatangChe), they're not distributed only with WinXP, at least with Win2000 as well, and I suspect, with every natively Unicode-capable Windows version. It's basically a Unicode font intended for rendering Asian languages (Chinese, Korean, Japanese) but has a Latin range as well and a few others like punctuation and currency of course. I find it rather ugly.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

Quote:
It's basically a Unicode font intended for rendering Asian languages (Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
In that case, it'll be loaded and installed only if you choose support for any of the CJK languages in Windows WP or (presumably) 2000. If Clayton once had Batang and subsequent to a system change, he hadn't, he'll get it again if he reactivates CJK support.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
In that case, it'll be loaded and installed only if you choose support for any of the CJK languages in Windows WP or (presumably) 2000. If Clayton once had Batang and subsequent to a system change, he hadn't, he'll get it again if he reactivates CJK support.
It is installed when you choose support for one of the CJK languages in IE (at least that's how it was installed for me). I think yyou can also say upfront you want that support when installing Windows from scratch. But KT mentioned distribution - it certainly is distributed with more versions of Windows than only XP. I'm sure it will also be available in 2003 (server), and it wouldn't surprise me if it's also in ME. I could check my CDs if anyone's interested.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

Quote:
But KT mentioned distribution
Yes, she's right, but lots of stuff is sitting there in an unknown folder ready to be installed if it's needed, or else it's on the CD. Not a lot of people need it though in USA or Britain: we're not all Sinologists like you!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Yes, she's right, but lots of stuff is sitting there in an unknown folder ready to be installed if it's needed, or else it's on the CD. Not a lot of people need it though in USA or Britain: we're not all Sinologists like you!
There are an awful lot of people from Chinese and Japanese descent in the USA... and quite a few Chinese in the UK as well, I think. Percentage-wise maybe not many, but by the numbers...

(not that I'm a sinologist )