DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 10-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default H-P 2605dn: Recalibrating?

Mike (or anyone):

Every so often my new printer fires itself up, rumbles a bit (maybe 4 or 5 minutes), and when I look in the little window, I see that it says it is recalibrating.

Why? Is this normal?

Old 10-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
imatt

Got the below info from HP.com. Hope it helps KT....

The printer automatically calibrates at various times. You can adjust the calibration settings by using the HP ToolboxFX.

Environmental differences or aging print cartridges might cause fluctuations in image density. The printer accounts for this with image stabilization control.

The printer automatically calibrates at various times to maintain the highest level of print quality. You can also request a calibration by using the HP ToolboxFX.

The printer does not interrupt a print job to calibrate. It waits until the job is complete before calibrating or cleaning. While the printer is calibrating, it pauses printing for the time that is required to complete the calibration.

Calibrate the printer at the printer

Calibrations are performed at regular intervals. For best print quality, a calibration can be performed from the control panel.

P.S. My Lexmark C522n makes a noise for about 30 secs every so often. Will have to check to see if its recalibrating also. Will let you know when I found out.
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Guess it is normal then. (Have no idea what the HP ToolboxFX may be, but think it may not matter.)

Thanks for letting me know.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #4
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Guess it is normal then. (Have no idea what the HP ToolboxFX may be, but think it may not matter.)

Thanks for letting me know.
It should have been installed when you installed the rest of the HP software. However, you don't need it, you can access all of it's functions via Safari.

Click on the bookmark icon in Safari's toolbar and you should see an item called Bonjour in the collections column. (If not you may need to change the prefs setting to show bonjour bookmarks).

Choose that and you should see the HP listed in the bookmarks pane. Select that and you have access to all your printer settings. In particular, the print quality option allows you to set the calibration frequency.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Click on the bookmark icon in Safari's toolbar and you should see an item called Bonjour in the collections column.
Thank you! I would never have noticed that. (In fact, I have been oblivious to Bonjour right along — now I see it has its uses.)

I reset the frequency to 96 hours; see how that goes.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Mike
Staff

Quote:
I reset the frequency to 96 hours; see how that goes.
I guess it also depends how frequently you switch it off and on. I have mine set to calibrate 5 mins after switch on as well as every 48 hrs. Since I seldom switch it off the 5 mins setting seldom gets used. However, once I cleared up some junk and can get to the on/off switch I aim to do that more often.

I don't know what calibration does -- does it use up any toner?

www.welshframing.com
Old 10-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I guess it also depends how frequently you switch it off and on. I have mine set to calibrate 5 mins after switch on as well as every 48 hrs. Since I seldom switch it off the 5 mins setting seldom gets used. However, once I cleared up some junk and can get to the on/off switch I aim to do that more often.

I don't know what calibration does -- does it use up any toner?
Beats me!

Suppose one should find out.

Aside from slowness, I am quite pleased with this machine.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Aside from slowness, I am quite pleased with this machine.
In what sense is it slow -- first page time or pages/minute? I've not done any tests but subjectively it seems to be about as fast as my HP5000N - and it's certainly a lot quieter.

www.welshframing.com
Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
In what sense is it slow -- first page time or pages/minute? I've not done any tests but subjectively it seems to be about as fast as my HP5000N - and it's certainly a lot quieter.
First page.

And much, much slower than my 5000N.