DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 02-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Anne Wright

Default The Lost 1984 Mac Video

I thought all you Mac lovers would enjoy this!
Anne

The Lost 1984 Mac Video

Never seen video footage of the introduction of the Macintosh in January 1984 was published for the first time on the Internet today. Renowned Mac user Scott Knaster kept that Betamax video tape for 21 years, and German media agency TextLab has unearthed this only surviving video tape of the launch.
Originally from industrial-technology-and-witchcraft.de.
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Wright
Thanks. It was great fun.

And Steve Jobs looks so young!

That may have been at a hotel in Manhattan. I had an Apple II (mostly using its CP/M card) but was shopping for a new computer in 1984, and was wavering between an IBM PC (with an Island Software imaging program) and a used Apple Lisa. Someone on the CIS Apple forum suggested that I sit tight, that something better than the Lisa or the PC was coming down the pike.

A few weeks later we saw rumors of a new Apple computer that had been presented to a user group in a NYC hotel room: the Mac.

I was working for an Apple developer at that time, so I asked about it, and he hedged a bit, but did say that if I was interested in any Apple hardware he could get it for me at a discount. I told him to keep me posted. About a month later, the Mac was announced, and he said I could have one at roughly half price. I said okay.

And I am now on my 8th Mac (with a PC laptop in the middle somewhere).

PC users think of Mac users as cultists. Not at all. We just know a good thing when we see it! <g>

Thank you very much for finding and showing that clip. It was wonderful.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Wright
Anne

The Lost 1984 Mac Video
Thank you, Anne, that gave me goose bumps. Nothing these days seems to have anything like the WOW factor that first Mac did.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
Franca
Staff

Quote:
that gave me goose bumps.
I wouldn't have believed it, but it did the same to me. Of course it could have something to do with the fact that the theme from Chariots of Fire gets me every time. ;-) Pretty amazing little bit of video, though - you really can feel the excitement of that historical moment.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
Anne Wright

I too started with an Apple II but could n't justify replacing it until 1986. And at that time, Macs were simply too expensive for my budget since I was not doing a lot of graphics with my business. I settled for an XT clone and missed having good graphics capabilities through it and my next computer. And I have been hopelessly wedded to PCs since <g>
But I knew you Mac people would enjoy that clip - if you watched the end credits, you will see that it was only digitized in January of this year.
Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I wouldn't have believed it, but it did the same to me. Of course it could have something to do with the fact that the theme from Chariots of Fire gets me every time. ;-) Pretty amazing little bit of video, though - you really can feel the excitement of that historical moment.
That theme gets me, too, but it was more than that. I bought my first Mac because of the ability to see real type on the screen. Seeing MACINTOSH appear like that brought it back to me. And then there is that delightfully adolescent 'insanely great'. <g>

Old 02-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
Stephen Owades

If you watch the video carefully, you'll see that the event is taking place in a large auditorium. According to the information I've been able to find (see here), it was the Flint Center at DeAnza College in Cupertino, California.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:04 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
That theme gets me, too, but it was more than that. I bought my first Mac because of the ability to see real type on the screen. Seeing MACINTOSH appear like that brought it back to me. And then there is that delightfully adolescent 'insanely great'. <g>
I was thinking as I watched it that someone young enough not to have known the ugly, coarse text we used to read before the Mac came out would be scratching her head, wondering what all the fuss was about for such a tiny little machine!

But it sure was something wonderful at the time.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I was thinking as I watched it that someone young enough not to have known the ugly, coarse text we used to read before the Mac came out would be scratching her head, wondering what all the fuss was about for such a tiny little machine!

But it sure was something wonderful at the time.
It was indeed wonderful at the time, and that video brought the wonder back for a couple of minutes.

Old 02-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

And today at MacInTouch they note the passing of Jef Raskin, the originator of the Macintosh, referencing info at the DigiBarn Computer Museum site.