DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 02-26-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Firefox Question

There's a Web site my husband must visit multiple times a day that currently won't display properly in Firefox on his system. It displays fine in Firefox on my system, however, so I'm wondering if his Firefox install is missing a plug-in or something. ?? If you visit the site in question:

http://www.speedtv.com/home.php

you will see it's quite junked up with Flash objects and these are the items that fail to display for him. I recall that MSIE6 throws up a warning if Flash is missing or needs updating, but Firefox is making no comments about the empty gaps and I'm darned if I can figure out how to fix this. Any ideas?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
so I'm wondering if his Firefox install is missing a plug-in or something. ??
Visit this site with your husband's browser, and look at the list of plugins that is displayed--then you'll know what he has. Compare it to the list you see with your browser.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
mact

I've found some places, like the Speed Channel site, simply won't resolve with FF. So I've backed off from using it (I'd rather switch than fight in this case)

So, when I'm not using the mac and Safari, I use something called something called "Smart Explorer" which works fine w/flashmist, has the handy tabs, and such.

But...Have you prowled the FIreFox site? There's supposed to be a feedback mechanism and Id be surprised if you were the only one complaining about flash functionality.

mact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
There's a Web site my husband must visit multiple times a day that currently won't display properly in Firefox on his system. It displays fine in Firefox on my system, however, so I'm wondering if his Firefox install is missing a plug-in or something. ?? If you visit the site in question:

http://www.speedtv.com/home.php

you will see it's quite junked up with Flash objects and these are the items that fail to display for him. I recall that MSIE6 throws up a warning if Flash is missing or needs updating, but Firefox is making no comments about the empty gaps and I'm darned if I can figure out how to fix this. Any ideas?
That site displays correctly in Firefox on my Windows box. Before it shows, there is a little message in the top left hand corner that says 'Detecting Flash' and a line below it that disappeared before I could press my nose against the screen to read it.

On my Mac, the page never displays. It stopped for something like 6 minutes with the firefox f logo showing in a couple of places, and the status bar showing it was transferring data.

However, I have installed a modification that disables animation in Firefox on my Mac.

Dunno if this helps at all.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Franca
Staff

Thanks, Don! OK, it's confirmed that his version of Firefox needs an updated Flash plug-in. I've got 7.0 and he's got 2.0. I know that he has a newer version on his computer because Internet Explorer is using it, but Firefox obviously doesn't know where it is. It looks to me as though Firefox may have grabbed plug-ins from Netscape 4.7 when it was installed. What is the easiest way to get Firefox's plug-ins up to date?

Old 02-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Franca
Staff

Well, since the Speed site looks fine in Firefox on my system and, apparently on Ann's Windows box, we know that it can work. Just a question of getting RV's up to speed. So to speak.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
What is the easiest way to get Firefox's plug-ins up to date?
I dunno! Don't use firefox, don't do windoze<G>

Old 02-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #8
Franca
Staff

Thanks, Ann. I guess we've now determined that his Firefox needs a newer Flash plug-in. I've never dealt with plug-ins in Firefox so I'm flying blind here. I clicked a link on the Speed site but it didn't take me to the plug-in download; it took me to the page to buy the program. Don't want it, thankyouverymuch. But I'll poke around some more .... I just have a feeling that Flash isn't the only plug-in that needs updating on his system and I'd rather find a way to update the essentials all at once. I thought there might be a way within Firefox, but haven't found it.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
Franca
Staff

Well, you never know - your brain might have absorbed that information from somewhere without your permission. <BG> Thanks for the cool "detective"!

Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Thanks, Don! OK, it's confirmed that his version of Firefox needs an updated Flash plug-in. I've got 7.0 and he's got 2.0. I know that he has a newer version on his computer because Internet Explorer is using it, but Firefox obviously doesn't know where it is. It looks to me as though Firefox may have grabbed plug-ins from Netscape 4.7 when it was installed. What is the easiest way to get Firefox's plug-ins up to date?
There is a new version of Firefox (1.0.1, just released). Maybe if he installs that (has to be a clean install) it will get everything ship-shape without a lot of fiddling around.

You should be able to download from the Mozilla/Firefox download site, eventually. Seems to be very busy, however.