DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 10-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Windows Viewer, not PSP 8?

When I look in the Windows Folder options, I see that file type BMP is supposed to open in Paint Shop Pro 8, but actually it opens in Windows Viewer. The same for JPG, GIF and other image formats. Why is this?

(See the attachment.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a0100.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	724  
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Actually, fixed.

The Windows Annoyances book, or web site, has a fix for this. I found it right away, and it is fixed. Here is how:
  • Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
  • Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ SystemFileAssociations\ image\ ShellEx\ ContextMenuHandlers.
  • Delete the ShellImagePreview key.
Close the Registry Editor when you're done; the change will take effect immediately.

The above is what the web site says to do. It's right, but my caution with the Registry Editor is, if you are not entirely confident about what you are doing, make a registry backup first.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
iamback

Interesting...

I have HKCR\SystemFileAssociations with a bunch of (media) file extensions below it, and Directory.Audio, Directory.Video and video. No image key.

Maybe a WinXP-only problem?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:45 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Windows XP Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Interesting...

I have HKCR\SystemFileAssociations with a bunch of (media) file extensions below it, and Directory.Audio, Directory.Video and video. No image key.

Maybe a WinXP-only problem?
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-201

has the full scoop on this Windows XP problem. The Windows Annoyances book and web site are great places to find solutions to annoying Windows problems.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Michael Rowley

Dave:

Quote:
has the full scoop on this Windows XP problem
I have a similar, but not very serious problem. I've got both Acrobat and Reader on my computer, and prefer the Reader for just looking at PDFs, because it loads much faster; but whayever I set as the default program, just clicking on a file with 'pdf' as its extension results in a long wait while Acrobat loads.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Acrobat vs. Adcrobat Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
I've got both Acrobat and Reader on my computer, and prefer the Reader for just looking at PDFs, because it loads much faster; but whayever I set as the default program, just clicking on a file with 'pdf' as its extension results in a long wait while Acrobat loads.
I have Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat 5.0, and I don't experience that problem. Perhaps reinstalling the Acrobat Reader might help. I suspect the problem is somewhat like mine, there is some setting burried in the Windows Registry causing that choice. Did you install Acrobat after the Reader? That might be why, and the reverse order would change things.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Michael Rowley

Dave:

Quote:
I have Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat 5.0
I think the problem was with Acrobat 6 and Reader 6, and I had forgotten that since I had those I upgraded to Acrobat 7. Sure enough, on checking, I found that the default (Acrobat) was now set; on changing the setting to Reader, it works perfectly. Sorry for the false alarm! It's a good thing it was a false alarm, since I'm chary of modifying Windows Register myself.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

PDFs will be associated with Acrobat rather than Reader, meaning that Acrobaty is what you get when you launch a PDF, but if you open Reader first, PDFs should use it rather than Acrobat.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #9
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
PDFs will be associated with Acrobat rather than Reader, meaning that Acrobaty is what you get when you launch a PDF
You apparently didn't see my later message: PDFs now open in Reader when I click on a file with the pdf extension or open a PDF in browser. It didn't seem to work when I had Acrobat 6 & Reader 6, but on replacing the default (Acrobat 7) by Reader 7 it nows works as I want. Windows didn't seem to recognize Reader 6 as a respectable Adobe program.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>You apparently didn't see my later message:

Correct, I hadn't yet seen it.

> PDFs now open in Reader when I click on a file with the pdf extension or open a PDF in browser. It didn't seem to work when I had Acrobat 6 & Reader 6, but on replacing the default (Acrobat 7) by Reader 7 it nows works as I want. Windows didn't seem to recognize Reader 6 as a respectable Adobe program.

Or Adobe got enough complaints about this behavior that they changed things in 7 to allow you to do it your way. If so, I'm glad of it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote