DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
FlipSide

Default PDF: how to stack for printing?

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a document for printing.

what i have:
a 3 panel a4 brochure created in indesign.

what i need to do:
i have to send the final file as a PDF to printers. how can i create a file so that the "outside" is stacked vertically (a3) so that there are 2 a4 files?

i need to do the same with the inside. so in the end i'll have two seperate PDF files for printers (1 x outside, and 1 x inside)

so "outside_1" = 2 x landscape a4 (stacked vertically)
so "inside_1" = 2 x landscape a4 (stacked vertically)

can anyone tell me the fastest way of doing this....i've spent hours trying to get the correct result.

thanks in advance!

PS: I need the cutmarks and bleed set up in that of course. thanks
FlipSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
what i have:
a 3 panel a4 brochure created in indesign.

what i need to do:
i have to send the final file as a PDF to printers. how can i create a file so that the "outside" is stacked vertically (a3) so that there are 2 a4 files?

i need to do the same with the inside. so in the end i'll have two seperate PDF files for printers (1 x outside, and 1 x inside)

so "outside_1" = 2 x landscape a4 (stacked vertically)
so "inside_1" = 2 x landscape a4 (stacked vertically)
I guess you are trying to print your brochure 2-up — two on each printed page, to be cut in half after printing. Right?

What specs has your printer given you for preparing the artwork? Many printers would prefer to impose — arrange — the pieces themselves. If not, they may well have spacing and marking requirements that you must comply with.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
FlipSide

hi kathleen, thanks for reply.

basically, i need to send the final pdf as srA3 with cut marks. and yes as you said, they need 2-up cover/outside (page #1 in pdf) & 2-up inside (page #2) on each printed page.

the bleed i used in adobe indesign was 0.125 inches around both pages.

im trying to get a final page that looks either like print_01.gif or print_02.gif
which ever is fastest to achieve. I'm relatively new to indesign and so would love to find out what is the best practice.

the other thing is i would love to keep the fonts embeded in the final pdf. so that it will print clearly (especially small text)

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	print_01.gif
Views:	109
Size:	953 Bytes
ID:	721   Click image for larger version

Name:	print_02.gif
Views:	110
Size:	952 Bytes
ID:	722  
Old 10-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #4
FlipSide

can anyone tell me best way to do this?

thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
roaryg

Save all of your pages as individual pdfs, or spreads if that is easier. Then make an Indesign file the size of whatever you are trying to achieve. Draw in the trim marks in Indesign. Then place your pdfs in Indesign.
roaryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
FlipSide

thats great roaryg,

i'm new to the print side of things and any info like that is gold to me.

so i draw them in by hand at the edges of each document. will there be any issues doing it this way as it has to be printed on the front and back of the same page? (different content on both sides of course)

is there any way of automatically generating the cut marks? (for the new pdfs placed inside the final 2-up file?)

thanks for all the feedback!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
roaryg

If your job has multiple colours then colour the trim marks "registration" colour, this is usually at the top of the colour swatches. This will make them appear on every separation. If your job is black only then just leave them black. Not sure if Indesign can automatically make trim marks around something. Just draw in little lines pointing at the corners, but keep them 1/8 inch away from the corner.

You have to set up your front and back so that they back up when it gets printed both sides. It's hard for me to picture what you are trying to achieve, so you may be best to ask for a copy of the planning from the printing company (they may have drawn it out already). Just follow their diagram, I'm sure they'll be happy to help. From your .gif files it looks like a work and tumble imposition, so put the spread at the bottom facing up (i.e. you will read it normally). The one on the top put it facing down (so its upside down to you), so you will end up with your pages head to head. Double-check this with the printing company though, I'm just guessing.

Last edited by roaryg; 10-06-2006 at 12:49 PM.
roaryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

what u are trying to do is really the printers job - what you just need to do is create one pdf with the pages in- and his imposition software should sort everything out - its really no good trrying to bodge it - it only leads to tears
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote