DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Free Gliftex (Win only)

Gliftex (formerly Gliftic) is pattern generating software unlike any others. Attached are some random patterns I generated with an older version. And it can do much more. Very interesting program.

Anyway, Version 6 just came out, and with it a new free version. Here is a comparison of the versions. http://www.ransen.com/Gliftex/Gliftex-Free-Home-PRO.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheet001.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheet002.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	720  
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Might be very fun to play with if they decide to come out with a Mac version. I can think of a several client projects where it would have been a useful tool.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
iamback

I'm almost afraid to download the free version - could be a serious time sink for me (marveling at its capabilities) without ever being really useful. But that's just me, of course. That said, I can see how it could be useful for some designers (though I shudder at the outdated idea of using the fancy graphics it produces as a web background! - that is sooooo nineties...).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I'm almost afraid to download the free version - could be a serious time sink for me (marveling at its capabilities) without ever being really useful.
Clicking the random generation button can get very addicting. And even better, if you want to go back to a previous random image, you can pick it out of a thumbnail list of past versions.

I already have a regular version, but I decided to look at the new free version today. I think he made a bad choice in how to limit the free version. He removed anti-aliasing in the free version, which imo, takes too much away from the enjoyment. I do realize that free versions are a good way to market. But I think he should have limited it in other ways.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I already have a regular version, but I decided to look at the new free version today. I think he made a bad choice in how to limit the free version. He removed anti-aliasing in the free version, which imo, takes too much away from the enjoyment. I do realize that free versions are a good way to market. But I think he should have limited it in other ways.
I looked at the comparison table, and wondered about that, too. It is already limited in many other ways that would still let you get a good idea of its capabilities. Removing anti-aliasing could have the opposite effect.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
donmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
that is sooooo nineties...).
And soooo annoying. I can't count the number of times I have had to highlight text on a background so that I could read it clearly. Design is a fine thing, until it interferes with the usability of the page.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote