DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 10-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default Designer training in printing

In the UK this seems to be none existant and perhaps shunned as they think it will inhinit them - what happens else where
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel View Post
In the UK this seems to be none existant and perhaps shunned as they think it will inhinit them - what happens else where
Peter
There were certainly classes and books on design production way back when. I have a very tattered copy of Graphic Designer’s Production Handbook (1982) by Norman Sanders, in fact.

Some of the topics covered in it include “heavy-up in camera,” bleed, foldout formats, accordian and roll-over folds, providing for creep, type and art on envelopes, imposition factors, ghosting, design for ink flow, and lots more — much of it having to do with preparing a mechanical, all mostly obsolete.

Beyond that, I cannot remember starting a new job without consulting with the printer. Just takes a phone call. Or two.

I have no idea how much of that is available today, especially outside of large cities.

Too often now we see someone start out by creating a digital file for a brochure or other piece, and then go looking into paper (size, weight, grain, cost) and other issues affecting cost and, indeed, printability.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

One of my favorite references of all time to recommend to students and even the occasional client is Graphics Master, now in its 8th edition.

Sometimes I wonder if some printers might save themselves a peck of trouble by buying copies for their more challenging customers. Could be presented to them along with a CD containing their custom Distiller settings and an informational PDF with web links to useful free apps like Adobe Reader and various file compressors/decompressors.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
PeterArnel

The problem we have is that designers do not listen to Printers - they see us as trying to limit their design -
Peter
Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
PeterArnel

I have to organise training seesions for major cliints and their deisgn agencies etc - it started with 8 people now is 16 so has to be two seperate days - I have asked each group to send afile and we will see it produced during the day - the day will be divided into 4 sessions -
Intro and job descriptions - repro and proofing - printing - finishing - has anyone else any thoughts
Old 10-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Then a good reference will back you up. If they still won't face facts when presented by an uninterested third party (the book), then I'd suggest presenting them with something to sign that says that "if client's art [has not been adjusted for creep -- however you want to explain the situation], then client agrees to accept the result which will be [be specific]" and include lines for signatures from both parties. If, OTOH, they wish for you to fix it, they must agree to reduction of the art to fit and/or (if they give you application files) shifting of everything toward the gutter or whatever it takes -- at ____ per hour cost.

At the moment that's all I can think of. I've not run into that exact situation, but it shares similar principles with some I have had to deal with. When presented with something to sign, situation clearly defined and consequences clearly laid out, clients realized I was serious. I think only once a client took the job elsewhere, but did end up bringing it back later on. I did my best to help them save face as to the real reason it came back to me; from then on I had their respect and loyalty.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Howard White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
One of my favorite references of all time to recommend to students and even the occasional client is Graphics Master, now in its 8th edition.

Then there's the venerable Pocket Pal.

http://www.internationalpaper.com/Pa...al%20Home.html

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard White View Post
Then there's the venerable Pocket Pal.
Indeed! I have one of those, as well.