DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Corel Products

I think I might have gotten an initial bad impression of Corel. My first Corel purchase was Draw, and on installation it completely trashed Windows 95. It was so bad that I could not even boot to safe mode. I had to reinstall Windows and all my software. Then there was Corel's purchase of the WordPerfect line. I remember when it was standard WordPerfect practice fix bugs. Now I see Corel justification for long-standing bugs as understanding their market and putting resources where customers really want it. I guess I'm not a typical customer. OTOH, WordPerfect Corporation is out of business while Corel is not. And Borland could not sustain its desktop application business, while Corel is keeping some of the old Borland products available, even though they are falling behind. So maybe they understand something I don't.

Recently Corel bought Winzip. I wonder if we will soon see a Winzip suite. And more recently, Corel bought Intervideo. From what I understand, Intervideo owns all or most of the Ulead stock. So let's see what happens next.

BTW, does anyone remember HoTMetaL Pro? That one sure slipped away quietly.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
BTW, does anyone remember HoTMetaL Pro? That one sure slipped away quietly.
Pro? I don't know. But way back when (1996-ish) I was looking for an application to edit HTML, HoTMetaL was one of the apps on my short list. But HomeSite, with a cleaner and more adaptable user interface won. The rest is history, as they say.

I was once a WordPerfect user (an expert one, too, finding a bug in their macro facility that they didn't know existed) but didn't follow it to Corel - with many people at the time I didn't trust they could really keep it going at the same level of quality the WordPerfect people had been able to. And I've been a Paint Shop Pro user since it was version 3.x or something (shareware by JASC) and still have PSP version 6, 7 and 8 (sadly not 9) and then upgraded to X (now Corel): More functionality to be sure, but a lot of the old functionality carefully hidden, and the "revolutionary help system" mostly doesn't help (users exchange links to online sources for the version 9 manual and some excellent documentation written by one of the original designers, no longer with Corel...). I have a few (free) old versions of Corel Xara (also acquired rather than developed by Corel) - impressive for what it does but I don't really use it.

Winzip? I stopped using that when suddenly an upgrade was no longer free when they previously promised lifetime free upgrades - I'm now using ZipGenius. Ulead? I have the SmartSaver suite (and use it almost daily) - but don't need any upgrades or anything for that, it works just nicely; no matter who owns it. (Both of these were news to me, BTW.)

But in one respect they seem to be different from Macromedia and Adobe and their ilk: they actually seem committed to keeping the apps they acquire alive, rather than saying "thanks for the technology" and dumping them. A big problem there seems to be funding though - they don't have the kind of big money behind them that Adobe (etc.) have available so that would explain the lack of real user documentation and lackluster support (though the private newsgroups go a long way to make up for that). Maybe we should admire them for hanging in there in spite of scarce funds.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Corel seems to have been the only company to survive the purchase of WordPerfect . Mine has always been a WordPerfect office and, boy, the problems we all had during the desperately painful move from WP DOS to WP 6.1 (we kept with 6.1 and refused to budge!)

CorelDraw is my favourite simple drawing and design program, and it's how I got started in artworking: we have a site licence for v8 (as we do for WP 6.1) so we can all do basic CD stuff at the drop of a hat. Every application has its bugs, but Draw seems to be pretty decent, particularly from v11 when they got the PDF bleed issue sorted. You can even get a copy of previous versions for next to nothing on eBay.

I agree with Marjolein about Corel's funding and lack of finance compared to other leading software houses, and I hope being the underdog (not meant in any disparaging way) prevents them from behaving like monsters! They went through some difficult times a few years back, but it seems they're on the up, so good luck to them!

Old 09-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
robin: Mine has always been a WordPerfect office and, boy, the problems we all had during the desperately painful move from WP DOS to WP 6.1 (we kept with 6.1 and refused to budge!)
Oh! I always knew I liked you and now I know why...LOL!!!

I was sooo unhappy to have to leave WP6.1 behind...but I did--went to WP8. The other day I was rooting around in the drawers where I have all my software disks and cds and saw my WP6.1 disks...I shed a tear and put them lovingly back in their place...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Pro? I don't know. But way back when (1996-ish)
In 2002 Corel bought Softquad, the makers of HoTMetaL Pro. And the word was that they valued its XML abilities. Since then it has disappeared.

Quote:
But in one respect they seem to be different from Macromedia and Adobe and their ilk: they actually seem committed to keeping the apps they acquire alive, rather than saying "thanks for the technology" and dumping them.
Well, yes and no. HoTMetaL Pro is one they threw away after getting the technology. Other times they sit in a product until if falls behind, then unload it. Like Bryce. And with others they seem to respect and support the product. Like Painter. So I'd say it is more of a mixed picture.

Quote:
A big problem there seems to be funding though - they don't have the kind of big money behind them that Adobe (etc.) have available so that would explain the lack of real user documentation and lackluster support
I'm sure they are not in the same money league as Adobe. But they do seem to always find the funds to buy one company after another. So I don't think they are all that poor.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

I stuck with WordPerfect DOS to the 6.2 version, which was part of the DOS Suite that Corel developed after they bought the line. I think there was a UK version, but it came sort of late.

I don't remember the Windows 6.1 version. But I think it was the WP Suite 8 that was a complete rewrite, and it had good speed and stability.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: But I think it was the WP Suite 8 that was a complete rewrite, and it had good speed and stability.
Yes...it does...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:46 AM   #8
donmcc

I remember Hotmetal, but it tried to insist that I code in a certain way. I can't remember how, but I trashed it for notepad, which I used for years until I discovered Homesite.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

LOL!! Love you too, sweetheart!

Old 10-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Terrie - in the UK "drawers" also means ladies underwear - I expect u knew that anyway :-)
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote