DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 09-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Calamity

Default Need help with graphic

Hi There you guys,

I'm a newbie here on DTP and was wondering if anyone knew how I could improve the quality of a new logo I am currently designing.
I have the logo just as I want it, but no matter which format I try to save it in, it just looks messy and pixelated around the lettering.
I have a pink background with white lettering and wondered if this may be the problem. I never had such a bad problem before when using dark lettering on a lighter background.

I've tried saving as png, jpeg, tiff and giff, but all end up with a messy mush around the lettering. I made the graphic up in Macromedia Fireworks MX and also tried it in Corel Draw. I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 as well, but am struggling to get to grips with that as I find it quite complicated.
The graphic end of the logo doesn't look too bad, but the all essential lettering looks awful.

I will be uploading this to the net if I ever manage to get it looking pretty!

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this? I would be really really tickled pink if anyone could help!! lol

Many thanks in advance...

Calamity
Calamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Just off the bat...it sounds like it might be a re-sizing problem...

Some questions:

1. What are the specs on the creation size--what is the width and the height in pixels or the height and width in inches along with the resolution--the pixels per inch?

2. Where will you be using the final image? On the web? In print?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Calamity

Hi There Terrie! Nice to hear from ya!
The image is actually 310 pixels wide by 90 high. It is actually a logo for an eBay shop, so will be posted to the web. This sizing is eBays requested size for shop logos.

I just checked in Fireworks and the res is 72 pixels per inch. This has been variable though dependent upon which programme I have tried to sort this out. The size of the image has varied from 8.75kb to 47.8 dependent upon which file type I used to save it too.

I have a version of it up on eBay at the moment if it'd be helpful to see the logo?? It 's just a temporary measure until I get it right.
Here's a page for you to check out if that's any easier...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sexy-patent-PV...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again Terrie...most appreciated!!

Calamity
Old 09-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Interesting storefront...'-}}

Try going back into Corel Draw and creating it again and see if there might be a command to do an Unsharp Mask--if you have Corel Draw, then I think you should have PhotoPaint as part of the package and if there is no Unsharp Mask in CorelDraw, open the image in PhotoPaint and do the unsharp mask there.

That just might do the trick...

While you are working on it, save it as tif or even a png (don't use a gif as it will muck up the color).

Don't save it as a jpg until you are happy with what you have because jpg is a lossy file format--depending on what quality level you save at, you can end up with a real pixelated mess every time you open and then save to the same file.

The file size will vary depending on the type of file it is--jpg is a compressed file format and so (theoretically at least) will save to a smaller file size than tif or png, particularly if you don't save it at a higher quality level.

For you final jpg, I wouldn't save it at anything below about 5 (7 really)...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
Old 09-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Calamity

Glad you like the store front Terrie....lol It's a bit embarrasing really..but ya gotta find ways to pay the utilities somehow!! lol

I will try creating it again in Corel Draw - I think ebay will allow png files to be uploaded, so may leave it as that. But have also heard that some puters struggle with the png format? Not sure if that's definitely the case, but I heard it along the way somewhere...

Anyway, will give it a try...thanks again for your help Terrie..

Calam.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Molly/CA

Hey, I don't think the logo's all that bad! I've seen worse, much worse. So why not give yourself some time to work on it? You could use it to learn more about Photoshop. It's not as hard as you think --if I can do stuff with it anyone can.

I don't think it would be all that hard to recreate the logo in Photoshop, using some copy of the one you have as a template to get the colors and proportions.

You could also clean the logo up the stupid way --my way-- by enlarging it and painting out the off-color pixels that are making the image look funky. With a bit of crafty selecting it might go fairly quickly on the larger areas, and the 'replace color' tool would help in other places. The pencil tool set to the background color will get into the cracks.

Open up your best version and immediately save as a .psd (Photoshop) file, then go to work.

(All these pros are laughing their heads off. But it's a fair way to start gettting used to Photoshop --using the basic tools.)

One thing about Photoshop --when you save a file to a jpeg at the end, it tells you what the size will be and it lies. The files are always larger. Be sure to do a save your Photoshop file on the final edit in case you forget to save as a copy. You can fiddle the image size a bit if it's too big --sometimes downsizing the image works better than a lower level of jpeg quality. Also, there's kind of an optimum level --play with that slider in the 'save as jpeg' dialogue box and you'll see what I mean. Above a certain point you have a much larger file all of a sudden, with little detectable increase in the final image's quality, and as you go down the scale the file size sometimes actually increases again after a certain point. So once you've found the best quality to size ratio and saved a .jpg version you may need to resize the image a bit and do it again, if there's a filesize limit. The cleaner the picture the smaller the filesize, usually (fewer unique pixels).
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Calamity

Hi There Molly,
Many thanks for your reply.

I do tend to tinker in Photoshop, I must admit. Just wish I had the time to study how to use it properly to get the best out of it. I realise that if I knew how to use it - it's a mighty powerful programme. I kinda grew up on Corel Draw and enjoy using that as it's easy peasy to pick up straight away. I don't get too technical on it though...just so long as I can throw together a logo I am usually a happy little bunny! lol

If I can't sort out a clean logo using Corel, I will have a go tinkering with Photoshop. It's kind of annoying though that a lot of graphics software APPEAR to be doing something funky and cool, when in reality the finished article is not as you planned it!! But maybe that's just my lack of experience?? Most probably!!

Anyway, am gonna tinker for another half hour or so..then off to bed..it's getting awfully late! I am just a stickler for having to get it right - I hate leaving a project half finished!! lol

I'll say goodnight...and thanks for your input Molly..very much appreciated!

Calam.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Another couple of thoughts:

If you work in Photoshop you can set the type and leave it live until you save out the JPEG you need for the site. That should help somewhat with the fringing around the text.

Then you can use the Save for Web function to create the JPEG: it allows you to set the size in pixels, view them in JPEG, PNG, GIF, comparing to find the best result before you save it.

And you can retain the layered Photoshop file for further work as you get time and learn about the software. It is very dense!

It has been a long time since I have heard of any problems with PNG, by the way. Like the other formats, it has its strengths and weaknesses, but I do not think there is anything that prohibits using it.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
It has been a long time since I have heard of any problems with PNG, by the way. Like the other formats, it has its strengths and weaknesses, but I do not think there is anything that prohibits using it.
The problem of lack of support for png 24bit transparency when viewed using Internet Explorer 6 or ealier is still there. 8bit transparency is fine - as are the modern browsers. So no problem if not using transparency.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
calamity: Glad you like the store front Terrie....lol It's a bit embarrasing really..but ya gotta find ways to pay the utilities somehow!! lol
ROFL!!! Practical is as practical does...'-}}

>>I think ebay will allow png files to be uploaded, so may leave it as that.

There should be no problem with using a jpg as your final after saving it with a (relatively) decent quality level (5 or higher)...

The point is that while you are working on the image, save it using a non-lossy file format--basically anything other than jpg (and while gif isn't lossy in the same way, don't use that format either while you are working on the image).

>>But have also heard that some puters struggle with the png format? Not sure if that's definitely the case, but I heard it along the way somewhere...

There might be some imaging software out there that might have a problem but any relatively recent imaging software should handle png's just fine...

>>Anyway, will give it a try...thanks again for your help Terrie..

You're welcome and keep us posted...

Terrie