DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
BTW, does anyone remember HoTMetaL Pro? That one sure slipped away quietly.
Pro? I don't know. But way back when (1996-ish) I was looking for an application to edit HTML, HoTMetaL was one of the apps on my short list. But HomeSite, with a cleaner and more adaptable user interface won. The rest is history, as they say.

I was once a WordPerfect user (an expert one, too, finding a bug in their macro facility that they didn't know existed) but didn't follow it to Corel - with many people at the time I didn't trust they could really keep it going at the same level of quality the WordPerfect people had been able to. And I've been a Paint Shop Pro user since it was version 3.x or something (shareware by JASC) and still have PSP version 6, 7 and 8 (sadly not 9) and then upgraded to X (now Corel): More functionality to be sure, but a lot of the old functionality carefully hidden, and the "revolutionary help system" mostly doesn't help (users exchange links to online sources for the version 9 manual and some excellent documentation written by one of the original designers, no longer with Corel...). I have a few (free) old versions of Corel Xara (also acquired rather than developed by Corel) - impressive for what it does but I don't really use it.

Winzip? I stopped using that when suddenly an upgrade was no longer free when they previously promised lifetime free upgrades - I'm now using ZipGenius. Ulead? I have the SmartSaver suite (and use it almost daily) - but don't need any upgrades or anything for that, it works just nicely; no matter who owns it. (Both of these were news to me, BTW.)

But in one respect they seem to be different from Macromedia and Adobe and their ilk: they actually seem committed to keeping the apps they acquire alive, rather than saying "thanks for the technology" and dumping them. A big problem there seems to be funding though - they don't have the kind of big money behind them that Adobe (etc.) have available so that would explain the lack of real user documentation and lackluster support (though the private newsgroups go a long way to make up for that). Maybe we should admire them for hanging in there in spite of scarce funds.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote