DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Paul

Default Pantone dinnerware

This has been shown in a couple of magazines, so it may not be news, but I just saw it online:

Pantone dinnerware: http://www.mfashop.com/padi.html

But it doesn't give the PMS number!
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
bmann

Nerds! Just kidding. Those are pretty cool - I just wouldn't mention to anyone that they are Pantone colors. (Pushes up thick black framed glasses)
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
This has been shown in a couple of magazines, so it may not be news, but I just saw it online:

Pantone dinnerware: http://www.mfashop.com/padi.html

But it doesn't give the PMS number!
I've seen Pantone books specifically for interior and fashion design. Yep, just checked and right now at the Pantone site they're highlighting wall paint colors.

I would hope they somewhere have a reference linking printing inks and interior design colors. Would be very useful for keeping the corporate office decor and branded fashions in synch with the corporate ID.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: Yep, just checked and right now at the Pantone site they're highlighting wall paint colors.
I read about that just recently and I think they are going to sell it for something like $250/gallon!!!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
reference linking printing inks and interior design colors. Would be very useful for keeping the corporate office decor and branded fashions in synch with the corporate ID.
It is really sort of irritating that every industry seems to have entirely different color references. Once I needed to have an embroidered patch made for a walking event, and "PMS 348" meant nothing to the company that was going to make them, while I had no idea how they handled color.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I read about that just recently and I think they are going to sell it for something like $250/gallon!!!
Guess that settles it — the market is the corporate world, no matter what homey scenes they're showing in those photos.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It is really sort of irritating that every industry seems to have entirely different color references. Once I needed to have an embroidered patch made for a walking event, and "PMS 348" meant nothing to the company that was going to make them, while I had no idea how they handled color.
Indeed. I've taken many a printed sample or ink chip to a vendor or (in the case of plastic lids for food packages) had samples sent to me, then selected the best matches. Tricky, too, when the environment where you have to make the matches doesn't reflect the lighting conditions where it will end up.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
Indeed. I've taken many a printed sample or ink chip to a vendor or (in the case of plastic lids for food packages) had samples sent to me, then selected the best matches. Tricky, too, when the environment where you have to make the matches doesn't reflect the lighting conditions where it will end up.
But isn't the Pantone system based on a specific set of pigments in printing inks?

I thought so and - assuming it is - would not even expect plastic manufacturers or textile/thread manufacturers to know what to do with those as the processes and chemicals used for coloring plastic and especially for coloring thread are totally different. Even if it would be possible to match colors you'd hardly expect industries using one process and set of chemicals for coloring to be using a system for describing those colors based on totally different industrial processes. Talking about thread, the same chemical used on threads of different materials may cause very different colors in the end result - it's not as though you can use one pigment and always get the same color. Even if you could characterize the end result with a pantone color code, there is no relationship with the process or chemicals used to produce that color. Oh, and we haven't mentioned glass yet.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: the market is the corporate world, no matter what homey scenes they're showing in those photos.
I wish I could remember where I first read about the paint so I could check the price...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

I . . . would not even expect plastic manufacturers or textile/thread manufacturers to know what to do with those as the processes and chemicals used for coloring plastic and especially for coloring thread are totally different.I don't think anyone would, since plastics are seldom coloured with dyes, and certainly not substantive dyes, are textiles (apart from the synthetic polymer textiles) are seldom coloured with pigments.