DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
iamback

Default Not only IE6! Look at your OS, not your browser.

Vgx.dll is not (only) a component of IE6 - the Microsoft Security Advisory (925568) actually does not even mention IE but a series of versions of Windows, including Windows 2000 SP4.

The latter is what I run, with IE5.01 installed - not IE6 - and vgx.dll is present in [%SystemDrive%]\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX. When I load the ZERT test page with IE5.01 it duly crashes! (Interestingly, after the disabling the dll, my IE5.01 does NOT crash any more - indicating success - but also does not show "two colored boxes" - as a result of my security settings for IE? -; looking at the source of the test page though, it explicitly includes IE5 in the test.)

So if anyone has an older version than IE6 installed on one of the operating systems mentioned on the MS, make sure you disable vgx.dll as well. The DLL has the real vulnerability - the browser functions merely as the channel of attack ("in a Web-based attack scenario"), it seems.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote