DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 09-22-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
confusedxx

Default 2-sided biz card

I want to make double sided business cards and was going to try to design them myself. I think they will be pretty simple from content and design, but want them to look and feel very professional

What type of file do you need to prepare for a business card - is an Adobe Psd OK or do I need Quark?

does anyone have a basic template for size and recommendations for a double sided business card?

cheers,
confusedxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
donmcc

Business cards should be 2x3.5 inches in size. I really recommend against two sided business cards ... they are almost always misused. The second side winds up being a mini-flyer, and really a business card should be designed for the primary purpose of communication contact information to someone.

If you do use two sides, think through how it will be used. Pinned to a bulletin board, in a rolodex, or in a card binder. In all cases only one side can be seen. Make sure that all the important information is on the same side ... people will flip the card perhaps once, if you put information on both sides that they need, they will eventually flip it into the trash.

If you are planning to use side B as a poster or advertisement, why not just produce a real ad, poster, or product post card, and leave the poor card alone.

<getting off the soap box>
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedxx View Post
What type of file do you need to prepare for a business card - is an Adobe Psd OK or do I need Quark?
Not necessarily — you could supply a TIFF file (from Photposhop). But that raises issues of type quality (I do not believe you can retain “live” rasterizable type in a TIFF file.

I would probably use Illustrator (or you could use Corel Draw or FreeHand — some vector-drawing program), placing the images from Photoshop, and then setting type and adding any line art elements. You can also create trim marks so the card is printed and cut correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedxx
does anyone have a basic template for size and recommendations for a double sided business card?
First a question: Why are you making it double-sided? It never works very well in practice.

Whether single or double-sided, the size may depend on where you are. In the U.S. and Canada, the standard is 2 X 3.5 inches. I believe it is proportioned differently in England and different again in France.

I do not have a template, but can give you a few guidelines.
  • No type should appear closer than a pica (one-sixth of an inch) from any edge.
    ::
  • Keep related items together, united by a common font and type size.
    ::::
  • Emphasize the most import element (your business name, more than likely): either isolate it or make it bolder or in a brighter color.
  • Include a brief statement of what your business has to offer the person who receives it (a slogan-like thing)
  • Keep it orderly; it is too small a stage to have more than one scene! Align text and other elements with each other — don’t leave anything looking lost or disconnected.
  • Do not fear white (empty) space — it is rarely wasted.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
djb

Realistically, any program capable of setting font and size for type and placing a graphic will be fine for a business card.

I'll disagree with KT and Don, and say that double-sided cards are fine as long as you have a reason for printing on the obverse. We use it to list the 1-800 numbers for our various departments (Subscriptions, Classifieds, etc).

But what you deliver to the printer will depend on what the printer wants. Ask them.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Print Shop by Broderbund

http://www.broderbund.com/

has various versions of Print Shop, which makes good business cards, easily.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
[Broderbund] has various versions of Print Shop, which makes good business cards, easily.
Has it gained the ability to set type properly (with kerning, etc.)? Last time I looked it had not.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc View Post
If you do use two sides, think through how it will be used. Pinned to a bulletin board, in a rolodex, or in a card binder. In all cases only one side can be seen. Make sure that all the important information is on the same side
Double-sided cards are very commonly used by people doing business in Asia, because it is difficult to fit information in two different writing systems onto one side of the card. For example, English on one side and Chinese on the other.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
confusedxx

Thanks for the replies. I would do double sided because of languages. One side would be English and the other Side would be German. Though there is probably not much that needs to be translated actually

I have made a draft in Photoshop and it seems able (given my limited understanding and experience) to set the kearning and size of fonts. Now I just need to play with it and make it look good.

Cheers,
confusedxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:57 AM   #9
donmcc

I stand corrected. For multilingual business cards, two sided makes perfect sense. Funny, but you would think in Canada I would have seen this with French/English. But here people tend to use the one language and we mentally translate.

I suspect that more than one letter addressed to, say, 130 St. Catherine Street would be returned as undeliverable by a separatist/language fanatic postal worker who would only accept 130 Rue St. Catherine as acceptable.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote