DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 AM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default One round too many?

I'm currently working on a regular quarterly magazine that's in its 100th issue, and the clients are being fussy about what goes in such an important issue.

No problem with this, except that my conditions for doing their work state that the price quoted includes one round of AAs. This time, one of the clients is being very picky, and when I sent the first draft, which complied with the instructions from the editor, he insisted that one article be removed and replaced by another longer one, plus the addition of two more articles (the extra pages partly pay for this), plus the moving of quite a few elements. This took quite a lot of time. Is it reasonable for them to expect me to do this for nothing (apart from the extra pages)? What constitutes 'reasonable' AAs when you quote 'including one round of As'? I've quoted this way for years, and never found that I had to reconsider it until this job.

This afternoon when I got home from work, the picky client had made many more changes, including the removal of an existing article and its replacement by three, plus the removal of a table from where he wanted it moved to in the first round of AAs, back to his report where it was in the original draft. The three new articles he supplied in text only format, no hard copy for layout guidelines.

I sent off an e-mail reminding everyone that as we were into the second round of AAs, they were now paying by the hour. I'm hoping this will curtail the impending changes to the cover... They've done no serious proof-reading yet, and I can see quite a few edits that are crying to be done.

In the meantime, the printer's rep is tearing his hair out, because he has a multi-million dollar press running 24 hours a day that needs to be fed, and the job has been scheduled twice so far. The client is still talking about having the job printed and delivered to them by Friday.

They're actually really nice people and pleasant to deal with. Just don't understand the workings of the industry.