DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default Crisp white wine

I want to find a nice white wine - Sauvignon is a bit too fruity , Pinot Grigio is a bit Gluggy, Chardonney is always Gluggy - Chablis has gone gluggy - has any one any ideas
Peter
Gluggy is aged in oak
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel View Post
I want to find a nice white wine - Sauvignon is a bit too fruity , Pinot Grigio is a bit Gluggy, Chardonney is always Gluggy - Chablis has gone gluggy - has any one any ideas
Peter
Gluggy is aged in oak
Sure. Stop buying those California chards! <g>

We have white wine almost every evening before dinner, and I too dislike oakiness and excess fruitiness. I like wine to taste like wine, not something else. Anyway, here are a few crisp whites we have found recently that we liked enough to take notes on (and go find more):

Roux Père & Fils 2005 Chardonnay–Bourgogne: A very good chard (our wine dealer thinks it is a declassified chablis), especially at the price. I thought it had a “classy taste,” whatever that might be; like good chablis, I suppose. Not oaky, nor too high in alcohol (12.5%). Cost $13 here.

Valdelainos 2005 Rueda Verdejo: Sort of hard to describe. A bit fruity and a bit spicy (for a white), but lightly so. No perceptible oak. We both found it really refreshing, perfect before dinner. Can take being very cold. 13% alcohol; $12.

Anton Bauer 2005 Gmörk Gruner Vertliner: The first time we had this, I said it was my idea of a nearly perfect white wine. Smooth, not too fruity, not too alcoholic — just lovely, lovely white wine. Now I have had it again, and I still like it (a good sign). It is not much like other Gruners I have had, by the way; you need to come to this one with an open mind. 12% alcohol; $14.

Terre di Orazio 2004 Dry Muscat Venose: Very dry (unexpectedly so; I always expect wines with “muscat” in the name to be at least very fruity, bordering on sweet), but with a definite muscat flavor, one that we both liked. No discernible oak, no weird additives. 13% alcohol; $13.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
PeterArnel

I have never bought Cal Chard mmmmm - thanks for the list i will see if they are available - do u not drink any Sauvignon (Oyster bay from NZ is in Vogue here at the moment)
Old 09-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Peter:

Quote:
I want to find a nice white wine
Muscadet is a nice, fresh white wine, and it doesn't cost much either. But for genuine quality, you can't beat a Riesling from a good vineyard on the Mosel, Naher, or Rhine: it's the world's best white wine, and needn't be too expensive, unless you buy an Auslese from a top Rheingau producer.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I have never bought Cal Chard mmmmm - thanks for the list i will see if they are available - do u not drink any Sauvignon (Oyster bay from NZ is in Vogue here at the moment)
I went off Sauvignon Blanc a few years ago because too much of it has a sharp “catty” aroma that I really dislike.

I used to like them, though I was never a real fan. I’ve heard good things about some NZ SBs, but haven’t run across them yet.

My taste changes from time to time, so who knows that I might like tomorrow!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
PeterArnel

I have just come back from the Algarve in Portugal and drank nothing but Rose -with grilled sea base and red snapper- nothing better
Peter
Have alook at Marlbough wines from NZ they are good
Old 09-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
PeterArnel

Riesling doent have a good name here - but will try it - have you tried Macon
Peter
Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Oyser Bay is also popular here, and I buy a bottle each time I go to the bottle shop for wine.

But my current favourite is a light semillon sauvignon blanc blend from South Australia called 'Early Harvest'. Only 9.5% alcohol, and ungluggy. The company has a web site if you want to check it out. It's available at the syndicated bottle shops around here, so it may be available over there too.

SSBs are the most popular blends here these days.

Editing
Sorry, I put that link in without following it first. The site is irritatingly full of Flash.

Last edited by annc; 09-16-2006 at 02:17 PM. Reason: More about the web site.
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Riesling doent have a good name here - but will try it - have you tried Macon
I have had two astoundingly good dry rieslings, both from Germany. There were not light, but rich, kind of velvety, and heavy on the tongue, with a gorgeous aftertaste.

Besides that, though, my favorite rieslings come from Alsace. Lighter, dryer, with more fruit but without much weight. Difficulty is, though, that the wines there come from very small growers, so all you ever see advertised are Trimbach and the like, whose wines are just so-so. One day if you go over thataway, I will give you my list of little winemakers. They are friendly, and you can buy directly. Hell, you could probably have cases shipped to you.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
PeterArnel

my favorit red is "Jester" from Mitolo McClaren Vale - its in your face Shiraz
Peter