DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default Vivalavoce gone

www.vivalevoce.com has now gone to a subscription only service. While that didn't concern me too much as I decided it would be well worth the cost, they didn't say beforehand that it would be a Windows-only service!

If any other Mac users are as disappointed by this as I am then maybe they'd like to send them an appropriate email. Don't expect a reply though -- they've not replied to me.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
If any other Mac users are as disappointed by this as I am then maybe they'd like to send them an appropriate email. Don't expect a reply though -- they've not replied to me.
Thanks for letting us know. I've expressed my disappointment.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Their policy

I sent an email to them objecting to this policy. Although I am a WindowsXP Pro user, they have no way of knowing that. They seem to blame Microsoft and Apple for the restriction.

Their policy is clearly stated on their subscription page, and here it is:

Why can't I listen on my Mac?
The encryption software used to secure the stream for subscribers is only supported by Windows Media Player versions 10 and above. Currently Microsoft does not make that version available on the Mac OS. Unfortunately, until Apple and Microsoft coordinate to provide a newer version of the Windows Media Player for the Mac OS, it will not be compatible with the subscription service. Can I listen to VivaLaVoce from both my work and home computer?
Yes, your subscription will grant you a password that will allow you to listen from up to four compatible computers. Four PC's will allow you to listen to VivaLaVoce from work, home, laptop and one other PC. To insure your PC's will all meet the compatibility test, see the next question.
What software will I need to listen to the subscription based service?
You will need Windows Media Player in order to listen. To insure your PC meets the requirements, DRM Networks, the company we are using to handle the subscription service, has a compatibility tool on their website. Currently we cannot support Apple Mac users. We apologize for the inconvenience.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Thanks for letting us know. I've expressed my disappointment.
Yeah, me too.

I have not listened often — it just slips my mind. But I would gladly support them with $5/month just to know it helped keep them on the air and available.

But evidently they figured they would go with Windows Media Player — putting themselves squarely in Microsoft’s hands — instead of a more inclusive format. Shame on them.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I sent an email to them objecting to this policy. Although I am a WindowsXP Pro user, they have no way of knowing that. They seem to blame Microsoft and Apple for the restriction.
I read that. The apology is a little thin, if you ask me.

There are systems that work with Macs and Windows machines. For some reason — either convenience or economy, I would guess — they chose Windows Media Player.

Apple competes with Microsoft in this technology; I suppose Vivalevoce can blame both of them. To me it is sort of clear. The Apple technology runs on both platforms; the Windows one does not (at least not now, and not intermittently in the past). I think they could have made a different choice.

Nice of you to write to them. I doubt they can easily change technologies, though.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
I suppose Vivalevoce can blame both of them
I'm content to listen to BBC Radio 3 myself, but if you're going to complain, then do it to Viva la voce (sic).

Old 09-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
I'm content to listen to BBC Radio 3 myself, but if you're going to complain, then do it to Viva la voce (sic).
The one great advantage of Viva le voce is the complete opera broadcast each morning (GMT(. It's a good way to start the working day.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:31 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Viva le voce Reply

They did reply to my email:

We apologize for this inconvenience. We are urging our provider to make
their system Mac compatible. We are also watching closely for the
development of a newer Windows Media Player for Mac that will work with
this system. We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your
displeasure, and hope to have a resolution. We will keep your email
address and alert you when there is a change for the better.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
Michael Rowley

Mike:

Quote:
The one great advantage of Viva le voce . . .
I was just nit-picking: it's la voce. But I notice that Viva la Voce has taken the precaution of registering vivalevoce.com too.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
JVegVT

I haven't been here for many weeks and hesitated to revive this old thread, but something that added greatly to my quality of life ended when vlvalavoce went Windows-only.. PLEASE don't limit this disappointment just to the Mac faction. We Linux users are affected, too, and it won't help us if they come up with a solution that includes Macs unless it's more universal than that.

I have Windows XP with Media Player 10 on three computers, but I didn't subscribe because I don't generally run Windows unless I have to do something or use software for which I have no Linux equivalent. Weeks can go by between the times I run Windows. I don't want to turn on a computer just to listen to VivaLaVoce. I like to listen on the computer on which I'm working.

I did send an e-mail and did not get a reply, but I'm not sure it went through and I'm going to send another.

It seems really foolish to me that they limited their audience this way. You'd think that with a subscription service, you'd went it available to as many potential customers as possible. Yet they chose a solution that is not only Windows-only, but Windows XP-only (maybe W2K, too--I don't remember). Surely having something that was accessible by Mac and Linux users would attract more subscribers.

I suspect it's DRM gone amuck, and I don't understand it. It's not like we could download files illegally. We're just listening to a stream. Surely they could authenticate one's subscriber status in a platform-inclusive way.

Makes me mad!
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote