DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Trouble with WinXP Font Installer

NYT mag has fun with letters went on into a discussion of University Roman font, which I found for free on the web, but I have a problem.

In Windows XP Pro, when I go to Settings, Fonts, I get the ordinary Windows Explorer interface, showing me the members in the c:\window\fonts directory, and not the Font interface needed to install a font. For comparison, my computer is dual-boot, and in the other WinXP Pro boot, the Font interface works just fine, I installed the new font there, and with MS Word I captured the letters R and r in a large University Roman size, which I posted in the other thread.

Now, what can I do about being unable to install fonts in the normal WinXP boot system?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Now, what can I do about being unable to install fonts in the normal WinXP boot system?
Does it have some sort of font integrity-checking built in? If so, it is probably rejecting it.

I downloaded the font and tried to install it into FontBook (a program that is included with OS X), and it said it had serious errors and then it refused to install it.

So I opened the font in Fontographer. It did open it (sometimes it doesn’t, if there are problems) and it looks pretty crappy (many extraneous points) and I was able to see where the font came from: ALLTYPE. Aha says I!

That was (and is, actually) a tool for converting fonts from one format to another. It can be used in different ways, but commonly, alas, to crudely convert, say, an Adobe PostScript font to TrueType. I believe that was the case here, although I didn’t take the time to compare the character sets and details of the outlines.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default No opportunity to install

Thanks for the quick response.

My computer is dual-boot, but both boots are WinXP Pro. I installed the University Roman font just fine in the second boot, but the first boot has the Windows Explorer interface, rather than the expected Font interface, so I have no opportunity to try to install a particular font.

I have no knowledge of how I could have any font verification or checking feature in either WinXP Pro system.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I have no knowledge of how I could have any font verification or checking feature in either WinXP Pro system.
Me, neither. Maybe some Windows font maven will pop up to advise.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>In Windows XP Pro, when I go to Settings, Fonts, I get the ordinary Windows Explorer interface, showing me the members in the c:\window\fonts directory, and not the Font interface needed to install a font.

Choose File, Install Font. Does that do it for you?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
dthomsen8

Default No Install Font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>>In Windows XP Pro, when I go to Settings, Fonts, I get the ordinary Windows Explorer interface, showing me the members in the c:\window\fonts directory, and not the Font interface needed to install a font.

Choose File, Install Font. Does that do it for you?
No.

See the two attachments. The first one shows the results of trying the Font settings and File on my normal Windows XP boot. No Install Font choice available there, and the font icons are different from the second attachment, which shows the usual Font File > Install Font choice, which works fine on that boot on my dual-boot Windows XP Pro computer. The screen captures tell the story. The question is how to get the Install Font choice back, an operating system question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badfont1.gif
Views:	143
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	701   Click image for larger version

Name:	badfont2.gif
Views:	132
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	702  

Last edited by dthomsen8; 09-12-2006 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Add attachments
Old 09-13-2006, 05:42 AM   #7
donmcc

What happens if you just drag the font into the folder. I know this is not the proper installation process, but it might work.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc View Post
What happens if you just drag the font into the folder. I know this is not the proper installation process, but it might work.
Tried that, it doesn't work. There must be a Windows Registry entry involved.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

What user privileges are you logged in with on the normal XP boot (the one with no font installation options)? No great hope there, but as a test I set up a new user in XP with limited privileges. Explorer kept crashing every time I tried to open the Windows folder but I was able to get into the Fonts directory via command prompt, then Start . opened Exploder on the fonts folder. Install Fonts was enabled.

But a Guest login might further restrict things. Then again, I doubt you'd have set yourself up as a Guest.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Default The Answer

The answer to this problem is using TweakUI to repair the folder. See the attached screen capture. I found the answer in Microsoft's support forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fix09.gif
Views:	161
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	703