DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 09-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
m_chanoine

Default Browser choice?

Dear Forum members,

could you recommend a forum where the main browsers are discussed (release, blocking ad and flash, bookmarks/favourites management, etc.) ? This from the point of view of the user more than of the web developer.

Thank you in advance
Michel
m_chanoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_chanoine View Post
could you recommend a forum where the main browsers are discussed (release, blocking ad and flash, bookmarks/favourites management, etc.) ? This from the point of view of the user more than of the web developer.
Not sure, actually. Browser information tends to be wildly partisan (if not sponsored).

We could discuss it here. It is not as if there are tons of choices, but I know people hold strong opinions. We could at least list currently available browsers:
For Win and Mac (and perhaps Linux):
  • The Mozilla family (Mozilla, Firefox, SeaMonkey)
  • Netscape
  • Opera
  • MSIE 5 (probably not for Linux)
For Windows only:
  • MSIE 6 and 7
For Mac only:
  • Safari
  • Camino (from the Mozilla group)
  • iCab
  • OmniWeb
  • Shira
Mozilla et al: The Mozilla group (and theoretically Netscape) have similar properties. You can set Prefs to block popups. They are fairly W3C-compliant. At this point there are probably more extensions, etc. for Firefox than for the others.

One of the extensions I use is Flashblock, which replaces Flash objects with a button; click it to view them, else they do not show.

If you are brave (or know what you’re doing), you can alter the config file; I made one change, to prevent moving images from moving; only works with GIF files, I think, and doesn’t seem as useful as it once was. Developers keep finding new ways to make things move, I think.

MSIE 6 & 7: Since I work on a Mac, I know little about MSIE 6 or 7, though others here can help. And although I have Opera, I don’t know much about it either. We will let others talk about that one.

Mac-only browsers: Safari is an elegant browser. Lets you block popups in Prefs. Very W3C-compliant (perhaps most of modern browsers). Does not always work at some Win-built web sites (the ones that depend on Windows-only code), so Mac users need a second browser (usually one of the Mozilla flavor, occasionally Opera). Cannot make full or easy use of rich text editors (with WYSIWYG styling).

OmniWeb and Shira seem almost identical to Safari, though there must be some differences.

iCab was out of date for years, so I have lost track of it; I have read that its current version is much better.

Does that get you started?

Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
MSIE 6 & 7: Since I work on a Mac, I know little about MSIE 6 or 7
Internet Explorer 7 will be released to Windows XP users quite soon and sent out as an automatic download. I have IE RC1 ('release candidate'), and Kelvyn has tested the Beta versions (and probably RC1).

Old 09-13-2006, 02:46 AM   #4
m_chanoine

Dear Kathleen,

Thank you very much for your reply. I do not know how it happened but I intended to post in the "Web design & layout" forum, where I am sure to find knowledgeable people with "a strong opinion". I will be more careful for next posting.

Have a nice day.
Michel
m_chanoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
Michel: I do not know how it happened but I intended to post in the "Web design & layout" forum, where I am sure to find knowledgeable people with "a strong opinion". I will be more careful for next posting.
No prob...KT moved it for you...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
MSIE 5 (probably not for Linux)
Using an application called Wine you can have MSIE 5, 5.5 and 6 on a Linux machine. Go here for more info.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_chanoine View Post
find knowledgeable people with "a strong opinion"
What exactly are you interested in? Most of us have strong opinions about browsers. On the other hand, those who develop web sites need to test on all of them (or as many as possible), so many people here are familiar with the strengths and, er, non-strengths of most of the available browsers.

My views:

I would use Safari for everything. It is elegant, fast, easy to control, W3C-compliant. But it does not work (smoothly or at all) with rich text editors, which I often like to use. And even worse, is not acceptable to some commercial sites, which look for MSIE browsers. So Safari is my No. 2 browser, always open on my desktop but used sporadically.

Firefox is No. 1, used most of the time. It works on some of the sites that Safari will not. I would hesitate to call it elegant, but it is sturdy, easy to control, has many useful extensions, works well most of the time, and is W3C-compliant. It is occasionally slow. And recent versions tend to hang or freeze on my system (first the keyboard stops working, and then, if I don’t quit quickly enough, the program crashes). But it is still my main browser.

Sometimes I switch to Camino, a distant No. 3: a Firefox cousin designed especially for the Mac. It has most of Firefox’s virtues (lacking the rich lode of extentions) and is really fast. No rich text editor, though.

When unable to use an MSIE-only site, I try Opera and it often works. I really dislike its interface and authoratitive tone, however, so it is only used here under duress. (Others here adore Opera. Guess that’s why we have so many browsers.)

I am not particularly fond of Netscape, Mozilla, or SeaMonkey, mainly because I do not want my browser messing with my mail, do not use newsgroups regularly, and do not use those programs to make web pages — so why haul all that code around? And they also contend for the same profile, and you cannot run two of them at the same time.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Firefox ... It is occasionally slow. And recent versions tend to hang or freeze on my system (first the keyboard stops working, and then, if I don’t quit quickly enough, the program crashes).
Glad to know that behavior is not just me and my setup.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Elyse:

Quote:
Glad to know that behavior is not just me and my setup
FireFox 2 is on its way: there's already a beta version of it.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:21 AM   #10
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
KT: has many useful extensions,
No matter what I did in the Edit Options box, I couldn't install extensions for Firefox directly from the site, and downloading them to my desktop left me with no clue from Help or anywhere how to install them using a file Tiger doesn't recognize. Have you managed to use those many useful extensions, and what did you do to allow Firefox to install them?