DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 09-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
bookwrm

Default Corel Photo Paint

I have Corel Photo Paint 8 and find it to be a pretty versitile program albeit not particularly intuitive. A long time ago I bought Photo Paint 9 and had a lot of problems with it so I never use it. I recently bought a new computer (a Dell with Windows Media Edition), and find that Photo Paint 8 crashes a lot.

The question:
Does Corel have a new program that takes the place of Corel Photo Paint? In particular I love the cloning tool in Photopaint so I would never want to see that go away... thanks for your time...
bookwrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

Corel still makes PhotoPaint, and it can be bought as part of the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3. Your PhotoPaint license qualifies you for the upgrade price.

BTW, when you say you have Windows Media Edition, I hope you mean Windows XP Media Center Edition. Windows ME is no longer supported by Microsoft, and its Win98 code is getting long in the tooth. Either way, it might be prudent to download the demo of the new CorelDraw Graphics Suite and see how well PhotoPaint runs on your computer.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
bookwrm

Default Thanks for response

Thank you so much for your response. Yes I meant XP WME...

I downloaded the program you linked me to, and will try it for a couple of weeks (15 days to be exact) looks just like Corel Photopaint when you open it. Anxious to see if there are any useful bells and whistles..

I do a lot of movie editing with Windows Movie Maker 2 and virtual Dub (both great programs) so I will no doubt be searching for programs that you can add text to movies, fix color, repair etc. Not sure how the "movie" part of this Corel software works but wondering if it does that?

Again thanks for your response...
R
Old 09-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm glad to hear PhotoPaint X3 is working on your computer. As for the movie part of the CorelDraw Suite, I have no experience with it. I didn't even know they had a movie feature in there.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
bookwrm

Default Corel PP

Yes, although I sincerely doubt they intended the program to be a movie software program, it appears to have the capability to add text to media files and perhaps other things as well. Still debating on whether to spend the money however I saw where you can get the upgrade on cheap software (buying it w/o the disk) for a whole lot less, so I may do it, not sure yet.

At any rate its been a real pleasure discussing this with you, and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. For some reason I have really taken a love of Corel PP's cloning tool and use it for a lot of things many probably unintended uses, but I find that by adjusting the transparency, you can do a lof of excellent things.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwrm View Post
For some reason I have really taken a love of Corel PP's cloning tool and use it for a lot of things many probably unintended uses, but I find that by adjusting the transparency, you can do a lof of excellent things.
PhotoPaint's cloning tool works very well. The visual feedback for the source is excellent, all operations can be done without touching the keyboard, and some of the special effects the clone does are fun. But if you think it is too expensive, there are also cheaper programs that include cloning tools.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
bookwrm

Default Corel PP

I think it is expensive, but I also understand you get what you pay for. The S/W download for $40 seems reasonable, but from what I am reading they remove "help" and I use help every time I try a new function as I do not find Corel PP to be all that intuitive. Sort of a conundrum...
R
Old 09-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Paint Shop Pro

Quote:
I think it is expensive, but I also understand you get what you pay for. The S/W download for $40 seems reasonable, but from what I am reading they remove "help" and I use help every time I try a new function as I do not find Corel PP to be all that intuitive. Sort of a conundrum...
R
Consider Paint Shop Pro instead. I find it very good for my needs in editing digital pictures, including a good many real estate listing pictures.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I think it is expensive, but I also understand you get what you pay for. The S/W download for $40 seems reasonable, but from what I am reading they remove "help" and I use help every time I try a new function as I do not find Corel PP to be all that intuitive. Sort of a conundrum...R
I do not believe you can buy a legal copy of the software for that sort of price. I would be careful about anyone who advertises such prices, in fact.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
bmann

I agree. There is no way that site is selling legitimate software. They don't even have a contact phone number.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote