DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 09-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
CarlSeiler

Default IE Ignoring Anchor Tag

I've run into this strange behavior in IE 6.x under Windows XP that's reproducible on both my computer and my wife's. When the screen is set to 1024x768 and IE is maximized, I am unable to access the hyperlink in one of my secondary menus.

The page in question can be temporarily viewed at http://overanalysis.org/odis/citizenship-en.html I'm referring to the link that appears in line number 57. This is the menu item on the left-side menu entitled "Initial consultation."

When the screen is at 1024x768, and IE is maximized, I cannot click on the link. The cursor does not change to a finger, the link doesn't change to red, etc. However, if you change the IE size or screen resolution, it seems to be fine. Firefox behaves normally. Can anyone else duplicate it? Is this a bug in IE? Any suggestions on how to get around it?
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Works fine for me in IE6SP2 at 1280x1024 but not at 1024x768 - just as you describe. Interesting, and obviously an IE bug. No idea how to solve it as I've never seen this before - you could try another link in that position to see what happens.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
CarlSeiler

Default It's always the first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Works fine for me in IE6SP2 at 1280x1024 but not at 1024x768 - just as you describe. Interesting, and obviously an IE bug. No idea how to solve it as I've never seen this before - you could try another link in that position to see what happens.
As an experiment, I've tried moving those LI's around, and the contents and destination of the links doesn't seem to matter. It's always the first link in the list that doesn't work in IE when maximized at 1024x768 but works fine in other browsers and other dimensions.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
CarlSeiler

It is some sort of colliding boxes in IE that I haven't figured out. Notice how you cannot properly highlight the first menu item with the mouse, for example.

Anyway, I solved the problem by removing the padding 9px from the #leftcolumn div. That did it.

However, I've noticed that even since doing that, however, the UL box moved all around depending on which selection you make. I've uploaded two pages at:
http://cseiler.freeshell.org/services-en.html
http://cseiler.freeshell.org/citizenship-en.html

I've added boxes around the major elements so you can see what I'm talking about.

I began to wonder what the differences between the two pages were, then I realized that one was XHTML while the other was HTML. Could this be the reason? It turns out that, yes, it is! IE 6 is rendering XHTML page slightly differently than HTML page. Here's the second page in XHTML, and look how it also has the space above the UL in the left hand column which is missing in the HTML version of the page when viewed in IE 6.

http://cseiler.freeshell.org/citizenship-en2.html

I'm not sure the two are related because the problem was solved by removing the 9px padding mentioned earlier, but it is a bit frustrating as now I'm going to have to switch them all to HTML 4.01 to really get Firefox and IE to be closer in look. (I hadn't intended to use a mix of XHTML and HTML except that I ran one of the files through tidy accidentally with the wrong switch and though, "hey, no harm done"...Oops, I guess I was wrong.)
Old 09-11-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
CarlSeiler

I have to replace the file for now, but for those wishing to see the behavior, I'm moving it to:

http://overanalysis.org/odis/back/citizenship-en.html
Old 09-25-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
I have to replace the file for now, but for those wishing to see the behavior, I'm moving it to:

http://overanalysis.org/odis/back/citizenship-en.html
I could not quite pin it down here, but in my experience "dead" links like that usually happen because something is overlapping the link - which you may not see because it's a transparent bit of another box. One way to debug that is to give each box (block element) its own, different background color. And you may be able to get around it by adding a z-index to the links (or ul with the links) so they will always be topmost.

Another thing that points in this direction is that you see different behavior between HTML and XHTML (or maybe quirks mode and standard mode) which would cause different interpetation of the box model, and things (just) poverlapping in one case where they do not in the other.

Just a thing to try should you run into this again.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote