DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Aeron chair designer dies

Bill Stumpf, who designed the Aeron chair on which many of us sit, has died at 70.

His obituary discusses his life and career as a designer. One charming comment from the obit: During the Aeron design process, Mr. Stumpf had a four-foot eleven-inch 105-lb woman try to adjust the chair to her comfort. (If you are not familiar with the chair, it has many adjustment levers.)

When she had to get out of the chair to make some adjustments, Stumpf stopped production, saying “we’re not going to produce the chair if people that size cannot make adjustments without getting out of the chair.”

(He should have asked me to test it — I do have to get out to make one particular adjustment. On the other hand, it is no big deal. I have to get out anyway, to go find the diagram that explains all the controls!)

Old 09-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

KT:

This is a better citation: http://www.hermanmiller.com/

It has a nice photo of the Aeron chair as well as an appreciation of the late Bill Stumpf. I had never heard of the chairs, but they are available in the UK, apparently.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
This is a better citation

It has a nice photo of the Aeron chair as well as an appreciation of the late Bill Stumpf.
Thanks. That is a better obituary, with more quips about this remarkable man.

The chair in the photo with the obit is not an Aeron. You can see it here. If you click on the row of buttons at the right, you can see different views.

That weird thing in the back is an adjustable lumbar support, without which I would be in big trouble. (We have three Aeron chairs.)

Old 09-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

We were intrigued, and comfortably delighted, to find one of their chairs at the business desk in our room at a hotel not long ago -- I think it was one of the Wyndham group. Extraordinarily comfortable!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
The chair in the photo with the obit is not an Aeron
The picture of an Aeron chair is at the top of the home page, but the URL you give shows it more clearly. I've used a Stolz chair for working at the computer table for 18 years now; it's just as comfortable as you describe, but not so fussy as the Aeron chair.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
I've used a Stolz chair for working at the computer table for 18 years now; it's just as comfortable as you describe, but not so fussy as the Aeron chair.
That’s interesting. I tried to search on Stolz chair, but all I got was some academic chairmanships! <g>

The benefits of the Aeron chair are that it has models for small, medium, and large frames; that most aspects are adjustable; and that it offers customizable lumbar support. The fact that its mesh also breathes is an added benefit.

I cannot sit without lumbar support; there are many ways of providing that, of course, but this chair has it built in. So call me a convert!

Last edited by ktinkel; 09-11-2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: fix nonsensical text
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
I tried to search on Stolz chair, but all I got was some academic chairmanships!
I misled you (inadvertently): the proper name is 'Martin Stoll' office chair, and the chairs and other furniture are still made by the eponymous firm in Tuebingen. The older chairs are apparently collectors items, judging from the number of advertisements on the Web. The proper Martin Stoll chair also features lumbar support, and various models have received many design awards around 1982; mine is a Model N2, with a wood seat and short backrest on a steel frame.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Aeron Chair Prices

Google finally provided me with some prices on Aeron chairs. Apparently they start about $700 and go up from there.

This forum is amazing, though. I learn about so many things I would never hear about otherwise.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 09-12-2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Addition
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
We were intrigued, and comfortably delighted, to find one of their chairs at the business desk in our room at a hotel not long ago -- I think it was one of the Wyndham group. Extraordinarily comfortable!
Nice hotel!

I first experienced one at Adobe; or was it Aldus at that point? Anyway, on a visit I saw all these odd chairs, and someone let me sit on his. Heaven.

Then I mulled about getting one for a few years — then one day (even before I started to have my back problems) I bought one.

Recently we bought two more for the dining room (I know — not too classy) because I need the lumbar support wherever I sit. And I couldn’t have it for me and not for Jack. So here we are. (Guests have to make do.)

Old 09-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Google finally provided me with some prices on Aeron chairs. Apparently they start about $700 and go up from there.
Yep, it costs some money (about $900 reasonably equipped).

But many ordinary office chairs cost half that, without providing nearly half the benefit.

Have to say that before I had back problems, I bought used furniture, cheap stuff from Staples, or whatever. But then my back went out, permanently, and my Aeron is what lets me sit upright. The price begins to pale in terms of that . . .

I wish they made something I could sleep in! <g>