DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Printing coloured PDFs with Acrobat

MS Word can be set to print colours black if the printer prints only monotone. Have Acrobat & Acrobat Reader similar settings? If so, where is it found? (And, perhaps, if not, why not?)

Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

Michael, I just looked in the Printers folder and examined the settings of the Distiller and Adobe PDF print drivers. Neither allows you to specify colours as black (or even monochrome priting). However, there is nothing to stop you installing a PostScript printer driver that does have this feature to create the PS file for input to Distiller.

As to why not: cheaper colour printing has become so ubiquitous, perhaps that is a contributory factor?
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Lois:

Quote:
installing a PostScript printer driver that does have this feature to create the PS file for input to Distiller
That's a good idea: thanks.

I prepared a document the other day with boxes for voting, and I coloured the 'yes' boxes green, the 'no' boxes red, and the 'abstain' boxes grey. The draft (in Word) was sent to a colleague, who commented that when printed just black and white, only the 'no' (red) boxes printed really dark. I said at first that he had forgotten to choose the right option in Word (my print-outs had the box outlines equally black), but I realized later that people would download the form as PDF, and most of them wouldn't have a colour printer. Collapse of stout party!