DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
CarlSeiler

Default phpBB or other Discussion Boards

For years the fan web site I've run has had outside discussion board, first egroups.com, but then it was absorbed into Yahoo groups. Now, I'm a position to host my own discussion board on the site itself. This is nice because I can customize it and have a little more control over the administration and look. The host comes with phpBB pre-installed, and I've got it up and running with a little tweaking of the CSS files, I've got it looking very much like the home page.

I've put it to the group about switching to self-hosted discussion board, but early results indicate that many people read via email, and so I'd hate to abandon those people. I can't see any email gateway that allows people to receive mail or digests. Is there any FOSS php bulletin board software that is easily installed, easy to customize, and would include email or daily digests?

I found this list at Wikipedia that compares various features of forum software, but email is not mentioned.

What I'm looking for is simply a good combination of email list (like LISTSERV or Majordomo) with a web forum (like phpBB). Does such an animal exist that is free (or cheap)? Or are we better off sticking with Yahoo Groups which seems to be what I'm looking for, but with limited flexibility.
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote