DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
CarlSeiler

Default phpBB or other Discussion Boards

For years the fan web site I've run has had outside discussion board, first egroups.com, but then it was absorbed into Yahoo groups. Now, I'm a position to host my own discussion board on the site itself. This is nice because I can customize it and have a little more control over the administration and look. The host comes with phpBB pre-installed, and I've got it up and running with a little tweaking of the CSS files, I've got it looking very much like the home page.

I've put it to the group about switching to self-hosted discussion board, but early results indicate that many people read via email, and so I'd hate to abandon those people. I can't see any email gateway that allows people to receive mail or digests. Is there any FOSS php bulletin board software that is easily installed, easy to customize, and would include email or daily digests?

I found this list at Wikipedia that compares various features of forum software, but email is not mentioned.

What I'm looking for is simply a good combination of email list (like LISTSERV or Majordomo) with a web forum (like phpBB). Does such an animal exist that is free (or cheap)? Or are we better off sticking with Yahoo Groups which seems to be what I'm looking for, but with limited flexibility.
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

One solution is to install an email group (such as majordomo) and then add a mod to the forum software that lets is pass messages back and forth. If it is important for you to use phpBB, you should search for web sites that have phpBB mods to see if you can add this. One such site is http://www.phpbbhacks.com/. But if you are not set on phpBB, you could also look into vBulletin, which has a mod that does this. And possibly others. Or, there is always http://www.mail2forum.com/wiki/Main_Page, but I don't know how advanced this one is.

OTOH, if you want something that already has this built in, I think maybe FuseTalk can do this. But double check this. http://www.fusetalk.com/

Last edited by Andrew B.; 09-04-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
CarlSeiler

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not necessarily wedded to phpBB, but it's what's there right now. FuseTalk's $649 is way out of budget. vBulletin is more in our price range, but given that it's all going to come out of my pocket, free is always better. That mail2forum may be something to look into, but it seems kinda clunky. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
gary

Let your fingers do the walking; for example...

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?...=6980&start=0&
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

The last time I looked into the FUDforum email ability, it required a build-your-own-hack to make it work. But maybe someone has finally uploaded an easy to install one for people to use.

If anyone here manages to set up a FUDforum with an email group, I'd be interested in knowing.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 AM   #6
CarlSeiler

The way it looks to me is that might have to be a procmail expert for FUDforum to work that way.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
The last time I looked into the FUDforum email ability, it required a build-your-own-hack to make it work. But maybe someone has finally uploaded an easy to install one for people to use.

If anyone here manages to set up a FUDforum with an email group, I'd be interested in knowing.
Sweet Maria’s (supplier of green coffee and roasting equipment) has long had an e-mail list. Last year they set up a FUDforum linked to the mail list, but it has not done well. Perhaps the members were too accustomed to communicating by list. It’s odd — I generally prefer forums, but also stick with the list in this case.

Anyway, it evidently works. The way it is set up now, all e-mail postings are funneled into a single forum. (Tom said there is software that will sort the e-mail entries into appropriate forums but it was too beta-ish for him, so for now, they all come in to one. You can read his announcement about this, and take a look at the forum setup while you are there.)

Old 09-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
gary

Sheesh - the point I was trying to make is that Carl was a step away from finding out the information he needed.

FUDforum was the first and only forum I examined from the links at the address Carl provided.

Checkout the forum feature comparison at http://www.forummatrix.org/
(That was an external link at the bottom of the Wikipedia page)

Last edited by gary; 09-05-2006 at 10:20 AM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Sheesh - the point I was trying to make is that Carl was a step away from finding out the information he needed.
And it was a good suggestion to make. I guess I didn't do the best job of shifting from your meaning in posting to my desire to chat about FUDforum email. Sorry about that.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post

FUDforum was the first and only forum I examined from the links at the address Carl provided.
You've got to be kidding me. I clicked on several links (FUDforum obviously wasn't one of them), felt overwhelmed by the number and features, and wasn't even sure what to call the feature.

Quote:
Checkout the forum feature comparison at http://www.forummatrix.org/
(That was an external link at the bottom of the Wikipedia page)
Hmmm. FUD doesn't seem to be among the software compared. And is email gateway one of the features compared? I don't see it there. I see email notification, though.