DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 08-29-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Web Developer Web Sites

I am trying to be a bit more serious about earning money with my part time web development work. One thing I definitely need is my own web developer web site.

I have been looking for such sites from our members in this forum, but so far, I have only found two that are for web work directly. They are:

Linda Baldwin

Kelvyn

Other members do have web sites listed with their profiles, but the sites are about family, or horses, or travel, not web work. So, if you do web development, please let me know your URL.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Two More Member Sites

Lois Wakeman

Terrie

Are two more member sites, but Terrie's is more about design. I especially like how she has added a link to our forum. I attach a capture of that here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dtp.gif
Views:	113
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	694  
Old 08-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Daudio

Check out Richard Waller's site. I think he has a very good web development site, through it is targeted to UK folks like Kelvyn's.

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

My developer site hasn't been touched for a couple of years, but it's still there...

Old 08-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
My developer site hasn't been touched for a couple of years, but it's still there...
It needs touching though - even if only a little - you forgot to make the page background white. That looks not so nice when you are using images with a white (rather than transparent) background, and it can make the text totally unreadable for someone who has their window background set to a color that is close to your text color... In other words, both an esthetic problem and an accessibility problem.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:57 AM   #6
LoisWakeman
Staff

I also link to here: but on my links page!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Your developer site looks very good to me.

I only see the quite minor complaint of an empty <p></p> pair from the Firefox developer tools.

You should add your developer site to your signature. This forum is widely indexed, so it can help boost your ranking of 2/10 in Google.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Web Developer Web Sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I am trying to be a bit more serious about earning money with my part time web development work. One thing I definitely need is my own web developer web site.
Some good examples of web developer sites here, but they do raise questions for me.

1. Must the developer web site validate without warnings?
2. Must the developer web site be in XHTML and CSS exclusively?
3. What content is important?
4. If there is a portfolio, how current and flawless must the HTML/XHTML be for legacy web sites? How large a portfolio is needed?
5. Anything else important for a developer web site?

The first two sites I mentioned couldn't be more different. Linda's is one page, and not much sales content.

Linda Baldwin

Kelvyn's is quite detailed, and gives a full picture of his services.
Kelvyn

I tend to think of doing something in between, maybe three pages. I know I want CSS based navigation, and flawless validation at www.w3.org, but beyond that, I am not sure what I want.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 09-07-2006 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Added material
Old 09-07-2006, 05:10 AM   #9
LoisWakeman
Staff

David: I tried multiquote but nothing happens: so answers interspersed with your questions below.

I'd say yes, but many clients neither know nor care as long as it looks good in their browser. (And I am sure that of the 100s of pages on my sites, there are lots of validation errors I have overlooked!)
Again, yes, but see answer to 1. If you are offering Flash skills then you'd need some demonstration of that too, for example.
Only you can say that after analysing your strengths and likely client base.
4. If there is a portfolio, how current and flawless must the HTML/XHTML be for legacy web sites? How large a portfolio is needed?
See answer to 1 again: I suspect dated look is more detrimental in older sites. As long as you have a representative selection, then a handful of good ones is better than 20 or 30 rubbish ones: and who's going to scour that many anyway?
I am sure there is: being found in search engines is the hardest problem to crack!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Daudio

Dave,

Quote:
Standards are important topics here in tech land, but shouldn't be up front when you are trying to sell your services. You need to convince a prospective client what value you can add to their business !

Show the client solutions to business problems, and how you can do it for them. They are initially impressed with nice graphics and pretty pages, but then you need to point out the benefits of design, approiate use of technology, accessability, standards, SEO, and such.

The client lives in the world of business, the web developer lives in the tech world. To earn money at web development you need to bridge those two disparate worlds !

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote