DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 08-29-2006, 02:09 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default I hate moving things

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ is a splendid site and I do not have ride up to the shops to bring home another tree to see the news, but gosh how I hate the moving images on the advertising. What do I have to do to still this nonsense.

And no, I do not know that the advertiser is selling. My brain is concentrated on blanking it out.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:09 AM   #2
john_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller View Post
...but gosh how I hate the moving images on the advertising. What do I have to do to still this nonsense.
Oh I loathe this stuff with a vengeance and can't for the life of me think why some insist on doing it...;-(

Firefox's Web Developer's Toolbar has a quick way to disable animated GIFs, as I'm sure you know, but wouldn't it be just the bee's knees if there was a zippy way to disable Flash now and again?

John B
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ is a splendid site and I do not have ride up to the shops to bring home another tree to see the news, but gosh how I hate the moving images on the advertising. What do I have to do to still this nonsense.
Do as I do - use Mozilla or FF with an ad blocker plugin or a user stylesheet that effectively does the same (by setting everything that looks like an ad to 'display:none;'). I see only very few ads (and that only because I am too lazy to adapt my stylesheet), and am totally shocked when I use another browser or someone else's machine.

Last edited by iamback; 08-29-2006 at 06:05 PM. Reason: ypot
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b
... but wouldn't it be just the bee's knees if there was a zippy way to disable Flash now and again?
Are you looking for something like the "Flashblock" extension??
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Quote:
What do I have to do to still this nonsense.
I just took a look at the URL with Safari on a Mac. Holding the mouse down on the scroll bar stops the animation. Alternatively a right-click on the Flash ad and deselecting 'play' stops it.

Personally I find holding the mouse down on the scroll bar easier as I generally want to scroll up and down the pages.

Dunno if those would work on a PC.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
john_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Are you looking for something like the "Flashblock" extension??
Brilliant - just installed it!! I've been looking for something like this for a while so many thanks, you've made my day...;-)

Cheers,
John B
www.bikeroutes.org.uk
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
Richard Waller

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ is not showing anything too irritating this morning. Perhaps someone there reads this forum?

There are certainly three things that can move - scrolling 'marquee' text, .gifs, and flash. It is difficult to stop all three. Flash is the most tiresome but is probably a PC option to cripple.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
There are certainly three things that can move - scrolling 'marquee' text, .gifs, and flash. It is difficult to stop all three. Flash is the most tiresome but is probably a PC option to cripple.
If you 1) stop all ads (ad blocker or stylesheet) and 2) block Flash (flash blocker) and 3) use the browser or developer toolbar to disallow GIF animations - then you have effectively blocked practically every moving thing. It's really not so hard!

But of course you need to start with a proper browser like Mozilla or Firefox - and they won't show marquees. That leaves Java and JavaScript scrollers, most of them the latter, so if you're irritated by one of those it's just two mouseclicks to turn that off (but then something else may not work either).

In my browsing experience, most of the flickering stuff is from ads, so just blocking those gets you most of the way there. And it makes a page a lot quieter to look at since you don't see other distracting (ad) images either.

Apart from Opera (which doesn't give you an option), I don't even have Flash installed. Opera is then my escape for those extremely rare cases where I actually really need to see Flash. But I don't upgrade it - if something needs the "latest" - then tough. No go.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
richard: but gosh how I hate the moving images on the advertising.
I loathe it on websites...they give me a headache...I only stay as long as I need to at websites like that and generally will never return...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I loathe it on websites...they give me a headache...I only stay as long as I need to at websites like that and generally will never return...
This new Firefox extension is great. Puts up a symbol instead of the Flash stuff. If you want to see it, click on the symbol and it pops right up. If not, read without it or just skedaddle.

Very elegant little tool.

The moving stuff I hate most (now that Blink seems to have died a merciful death) are the horizontal scrolling banners that are common on real estate sites. Very ugly and distracting. Can’t wait to see how this extension deals with those.