DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default eBay Experience?

Do any forum members have experience with eBay that they can share with me?

My wife bought some collectible dolls at a local flea market, with the idea of selling them through eBay. Naturally, I am left with figuring out how to do it, photograhing the dolls, registering on eBay, finding out prices, etc.

My first concern is figuring out a reasonable but not too complex or obscure User ID for eBay registration.

Beyond that, I am reading books on the subject, which is really a big subject.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Mike
Staff

Take a good look at the information for sellers on eBay.

Investigate the free applications for setting up and managing eBay sales -- they make life a lot easier (I can't recommend anything as I use a Mac and all eBay's free stuff is PC).

Use software that informs you of the cost of each option and chose the options carefully -- adding photos, bold or coloured titles and that sort of thing adds to the cost significantly.

Watch similar items on eBay for a while before selling anything. Watch what they actually sell for (if they do sell) and try to work out why some sellers get better prices than others.

Buy things before you try to sell anything. That way you build up a feedback rating. Many people won't buy from anyone who doesn't have a good feedback rating.

Hope that helps.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I've bought and sold a bit on ebay but not very recently but I won't let that stop me...'-}]

Go ahead and register yourself...should be fairly straightforward even thought I did many years ago...

One thing that you might need to consider....

I won't buy from someone that has no user ratings, particularly if whatever I might be bidding on is over $50. This is because the individual has no track record on ebay and so one worries about getting ripped off...

Before I sold anything on ebay, I had bought some stuff and established myself--at least as a reputable buyer...

Then, I sold a few small things--computer stuff, not too pricey...under $20-$30--which established me as a reputable (relatively) seller...

If buying stuff to establish yourself is not something you can/want to do, then when you start selling, start out with something inexpensive--under $20-$30--and perhaps put a note on the auction that you know you are a new ebay seller but you are reputable and do this 3-4 times so you at least have some rating--hopefully a good one...

As far as putting images on your auction page...I'm not sure how it's done now but it used to be that you paid more for an auction listing if you had pics that you stored on ebay...

If that is still the case and you have a website you can use, then set up a separate page that just holds your auction pictures and point to that page when you create your auction listing...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Good ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Buy things before you try to sell anything. That way you build up a feedback rating. Many people won't buy from anyone who doesn't have a good feedback rating.

Hope that helps.
Yes, that helps. Any ideas on how to choose a UserID? With many, many millions of members, most good ones are taken. Besides, we don't want anything which particularly identifies us by age range, or ethnic background.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

Dave:

Quote:
Any ideas on how to choose a UserID?
Your name is best: but you may find there's been another Thomsen before you, though it is not as bad as Thompson (or Rowley, for that matter).

Old 08-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

From what I've seen in my short time there, make sure you look into the Reserve feature, which I think is a price you set as a minimum you will accept. Otherwise you could end up letting something go at a low price. And this is more probable for you, as a first time seller with no customer feedback rating. IOW, people will be more cautious in bidding. And with this in mind, don't put up your most valued items first. And only start with one item, then wait to get your feedback.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
As far as putting images on your auction page...I'm not sure how it's done now but it used to be that you paid more for an auction listing if you had pics that you stored on ebay...
That can be one of the advantages of using one of the seller's application tools.

As a Mac user I use iSale -- that automatically uploads extra images to my .mac account so I don't need to pay fees for them. There are similar tools for Windows that will utilise free servers.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
Daudio

Dave,

I have been buying and selling some things on eBay for quite a while - Not a lot, but enough.

You can upload one auction picture for free. I have now gone to hosting my own auction pictures from my web site and using URLs in my description HTML, also free.
I suggest that you use the Gallery feature to have a thumbnail of your main item picture displayed in all auction listings. It is inexpensive and effectice. I do not reccommon any other of eBay's extra cost selling features. Not good ROI, IMHO.

Others have suggested auction software, but unless you are doing a lot of selling, it adds more overhead to the process. Once you have registered an eBay id, click the 'SELL' button and go through the regular process. It is about 4 screens - 'choose a category', 'item description', 'price, pictures and selling features', 'shipping and payment policies', 'confirm and submit'.
You will need to go through all these and figure out your choices. But it remembers your last entries on some of them so it not as bad as it sounds.

I don't like the Reserve feature. It can cost you more if you are not careful and it pisses some buyers off if they don't know your reserve price.

A good way to learn about some eBay concerns is to read through some of the forum postings (like in 'Seller Central') under the 'Community' button.

The key to using eBay effectively is Research. First know the item you are selling, then search eBay for 'completed auctions' for that type of item to see what they actually sold for and the best catagories. Check out the highest closing auctions to see what did the trick, be it the type or condition of the item, the way the seller marketed it or whatever.

Oh, and be sure you get to know the 'Listing' and 'Final Value' fees. You can waste a lot of money by not knowing the difference between a .99, $9.99, $24.99, and $99.99 starting bid.

I put up a simple 'for sale' listing for my stuff on my own web site, including pictures, then construct the short description (very important for keyword searchs), the item description HTML, picture links, and price. then use these to insert an auction using the normal eBay 'Sell' screens. It works for me, YMMV.

Research, practice, and patience to build up a good reputation are key.
Good Luck,

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Provide your eBay Userid, and I can check out your stuff on ebay. My wife is penang46 on eBay.

I was amazed to find that new eBay members cannot leave feedback for five days. My two books on eBay don't mention that.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Default Feedback for eBay Newbies

Newbies on eBay are not allowed to provide or get feedback for five days. This means I am glad I didn't win one bid, and now I will ask sellers to wait to provide feedback until after the five days, that is, September 4th. I only have two bids in, though.

Of course, if I bid on an item over the weekend that doesn't close until then, I will have waited the five days.

My two books on eBay don't mention the 5 day rule. I was outbid on an item I really wanted in the last ten minutes, even though I was online and bidding again. All part of the learning curve, I suppose, but I increased my maximum bid on a software item I really want after that experience, and I will check back when the closing time approaches tomorrow.