DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
jediracer

Default copyright

any copyright law experts here?
jediracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
Why don't you post your copyright question? That way we can either answer it, or maybe point you to someone who can...

Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Many of us have various sorts of experience with copyright issues, and we know of good resources for reading up.

But in the end, if you are contemplating something not obviously well within the safe guidelines, you should probably consult with a lawyer. Copyright can be very tricky.

Anyway, why not tell us what you want to know. Maybe we can help.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
jediracer

okay, here it goes. sorry if it's confusing, but to be honest i'm very confused myself.

we are a united states book publisher and book distributor. in addition to our publishing/distributing own books, we distribute books originally published by a company in the united kingdom.

for books published by us, i do the whole library of congress (lib) thing for the copyright - fill out the appropriate form, send two copies to lib, pay the free, done.

for books we distribute that were originally published in the uk, we do nothing. it has recently been brought to our attention that we may be violating united states copyright law by not registering these previously published foreign books that we distribute here in the united states.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ07d.html#foreign

Quote:
Although the deposit requirements are limited to works published in the United States, they do apply to a work that was first published in a foreign country as soon as that work is published in the United States through the distribution of copies or phonorecords that are either imported or are part of an American edition.
so here's my question: should we be filling out forms, sending copies, and paying to have these foreign books we distrbute copyrighted in the united states? the verso page on these books already contains various copyright verbage. that doesn't matter? i really don't know what if anything they are doing about copyrights on their end.

any insight?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
for books we distribute that were originally published in the uk, we do nothing. it has recently been brought to our attention that we may be violating united states copyright law by not registering these previously published foreign books that we distribute here in the united states.
Actually, you don’t have to register the copyrights, but it looks as if you must supply the two copies, with appropriate forms, to the Library of Congress. And if you’re doing that, I would think you may as well register the copyright.

Since you overlooked the requirement (for how may books? how long? how long ago?), you might want to hire a lawyer to negotiate this deal, and perhaps reduce the penalties your company is likely to incur when you file late.

It doesn’t seem like much of an offense to me, but I am a peaceable citizen, not the Library of Congress!

Do you ever wonder what they do with all those books?

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for such an interesting first post!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
jediracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Actually, you don’t have to register the copyrights, but it looks as if you must supply the two copies, with appropriate forms, to the Library of Congress.
including the $30 fee?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Michael Rowley

Quote:
should we be filling out forms, sending copies, and paying to have these foreign books we distrbute copyrighted in the united states?
As far as I can see, the requirement to deposit a copy of the book in question is part of the US copyright Act, though it is not to do with securing the copyright but to secure the deposit. There is a similar provision here in the UK, although copyright itself is automatic, both for the author's copyright and for the publisher's copyright. However, USA does have a system for registering copyright, which is not compulsory but does have advantages (though I don't know what they could be).

If I were a publisher, I'd get a lawyer to explain it all to me.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Michael I know this is not quite the subject - but isnt there something that only allows somemany copies of a book published in the UK going into the States and thats why there is some many editions
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
including the $30 fee?
Is there a fee for the deposit? Or for registering the copyright?

If the latter, then it is up to you. Hardly matters unless you want to sue someone for a violation (as I understand things).

Old 08-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Peter:

Quote:
isn't there something that only allows so-and-so many copies of a book published in the UK going into the States, and thats why there are so many editions
I've never heard that one, Peter; there used to be a US law that put a duty on books not printed in the USA or Canada, and canny English (and Scottish) publishers got their books printed in Canada, but that's fairly long ago.