DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.
Default End of an Era

This may be a little strange, but this seems like a good place to share this:

On February 3, 1984, I traded in my odious 1977 Pontiac Astre (it was so bad, they made it for two years and gave up!) and bought a 1984 Nissan Pickup. I have been driving my faithful little truck for 21 years.

I bought this vehicle the same year that the very first MacIntosh computer was unleashed on the world. These days, I work on a dual-processor 1.8G G5.

Alas, my little truck will not pass the California smog test. So, tomorrow, I will voluntarily "retire" it. Which means delivering it to a local "dismantler" (read: junkyard). The State of California is willing to pay me $500 to get it off the road, so I am going to take the money and ride my bike.

Fortunately, these days I can bike or bus to work, I can borrow my husband's car for errands, but giving up my vehicle feels like giving up my independence.

Truly the end of an era. So I guess I'll quit smoking, too. Smoking on a bike it just _too_ weird!

I'm thinking of a "gently used" Toyota Corolla sedan. Whatever I get, it MUST have power steering and air conditioning. Everything else is optional. And it would be nice if it was under $10,000. Suggestions?

Best,
Michele
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote