DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.

John,

Pizza. So you DO remember! I also remember something about a dead miniature rose bush, but we won't go there.

That trip stands out in my mind for several reasons. First, before I got the job that cheerfully sent me to Thunder Lizard, all expenses paid, I was working for a guy who bounced my paycheck. So I gave notice, and two weeks later I was hired as Production Manager at GamePro magazine. There I am still.

So they sent me to Thunder Lizard. And a few days before I left, you posted a message on the DTP forum saying that if anyone was coming to Seattle for the conference, they should get in touch with you. So I called you on Sunday afternoon after I'd checked in to the hotel, and you came around half an hour later in your Miata--with the top down--and took me on a tour of Seattle. And showed me the troll under the bridge, and also took me to the salmon ladder and locks. It was great, and I will never forget it.

We have friends in Seattle now, and hope to visit there sometime soon. If we do, I will be sure and let you know. On the flip-side, if you are ever here in the SF Bay Area, do let us know. My husband is an extradinary cook and a pretty good photographer, and loves company.

What are you shooting with these days? GamePro bought me a Nikon D-70, and I'm in love. It's the digital equivalent of my N6006, which they will have to pry out of my cold dead hands.

Best,
Michele
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
JohnC
Staff

I've got two SLRs, both Canon, D60 and 1DmkII. I do remember talking about GamePro magazine and the Miata. But now I have a 4-door pickup truck. I don't remember the rose bush.

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Franca
Staff

Hi, Michele! You and your husband aren't too far from where my husband and I live. My husband is a pretty good photographer, too, although he doesn't take his cameras everywhere the way he used to. Our business has changed over the years and he hardly has any photography to do any more.

What sort of photography does your husband do? Nobody can make rods and pistons look as good as my husband can. <g> He is still shooting primarily film, waiting for an affordable digital Nikon that can use all of his Nikon lenses. He's got a little digital Olympus but our timing was bad when we ordered it. Digital cameras were making great technological leaps forward before our Olympus had even arrived at our door. Sigh. Still, it's a handy little thing for decent quality snapshots.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
michelen

Franca,

Tell you husband to take a look at the Nikon D70 digital SLR. It's $1,299 with an 18-70 lens, and right now there is a $100 rebate on it. The company I work for bought me one, and I am very impressed with it. It handles a lot like my N6006s, and takes all of my Nikon lenses, even my old manual focus lenses (no metering).

Define "affordable." I know $1,200 is a lot of money if you don't have it, but it's a great price for this piece of equipment.

You are in the Monterey Bay area--I was born in Carmel, and lived in Pacific Grove for a while as a child. My father was in construction, so we moved around a bit. I still have family there, though they all seem to be migrating to Oregon for some reason.

My husband, Mark, just likes to shoot, he doesn't really have a certain subject he favors. He likes to walk through industrial areas and photograph weird machines. One of the photos on the wall at the moment is of the bells at the top of the bell tower on the UC Berkeley campus. It's kind of a neat shot, because he got it lying on his back directly underneath the bells.

Mark still shoots mostly film. I bought him a Nikon Coolpix 950 when the price dropped a few years ago, and it's been a useful addition to the collection. He got some nice infrared shots with it when we were on Kauai last year. He uses a Nikon F-100, and also a Mamiya C330S twin-lens reflex for medium-format.

I see from your avatar that you are a horse person like me. Well, I don't own any at the moment, but hope I will again someday. I used to show Arabians when I was (much) younger. Sometime in the future, there will be a liver chestnut half-Arabian gelding waiting for me somewhere when the time is right.

Best,
Michele
Old 02-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelen
Tell you husband to take a look at the Nikon D70 digital SLR.
Howard Oakley, Macintoh guru and keen photographer, has taken a lot of photos with a D70, as well as other cameras. He has a wonderful site showing photos of the Isle of Wight.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'll second the D70 recommendation.

The manual that comes with it is pretty skimpy; if this is a first foray into digital, I'd highly recommend Thom Hogan's D70 guide (http://www.bythom.com/ -- comes as a PDF on CD, small enough that you can pop it onto the laptop you take to shoots and such).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
...comes as a PDF on CD, small enough that you can pop it onto the laptop you take to shoots and such).
Aren't PDFs viewable on iPod Photo's little screen? I think so and, if so, pocketing an iPod Photo with the in-development Firewire camera cable/adapter gizmo to the shoot would be even easier than schlepping a laptop.

Just last week at MacInTouch.com they posted info on the new iPod Photo model, along with news that a FW camera cable/adapter was coming, so you could download your images directly to the iPod (viewing them on the pod's screen at any time if you want) and clear your Flash card to keep right on shooting. I'll post what they reported. (I'd post a link to it for more info, but cannot figure out what that link would be, because their search engine finds it, but the link displayed for the search results is a generic one. I tried!)

Quote:
* A "slim" 30GB iPod Photo debuts at $349 with the chunkier 60GB version priced at $449, both said to be available "immediately." The Photo models include a USB 2.0 cable, but FireWire and audio/video cables are optional, as is the $39 dock. An optional iPod Camera Connector accessory is due in "late March" at $29:
By simply connecting the iPod Camera Connector and a digital camera, customers can easily transfer digital images to their iPod photo, providing tremendous storage space so they can take more pictures. Imported photos are immediately viewable on iPod photo's crisp color screen, and can also be brought back to iPhoto on the Mac or various photo applications on the PC.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #8
michelen

Quote:

The manual that comes with it is pretty skimpy; if this is a first foray into digital, I'd highly recommend Thom Hogan's D70 guide (http://www.bythom.com/ -- comes as a PDF on CD, small enough that you can pop it onto the laptop you take to shoots and such).
Steve,

Do you have a D70? How do you like it? More specifically, is there anything you DON'T like about it? So far, I am very impressed, but am interested in other users' input.

Best,
Michele
Old 03-01-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
Mike
Staff

Quote:

I'll second that recommendation. When I first got my D70 I bought a couple of printed books but they were nothing like as good as Thom's book.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Aren't PDFs viewable on iPod Photo's little screen? I think so and, if so, pocketing an iPod Photo with the in-development Firewire camera cable/adapter gizmo to the shoot would be even easier than schlepping a laptop.
It would be really nice if the new photo iPod supported RAW format files but it doesn't seem to. It's RAW files that really fill up camera cards quickly so a 60MB ipod would be really useful.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote