DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default Print estimating software

PowerQuote print estimating software from Mace Estimating promises to “make print estimating a breeze.” Handles offset and digital print jobs, direct or brokered, with estimates based on user-customizable production rates.

Has a long list of features, probably best understood by a printer. Available for Mac or Windows (with an on-line estimator). Have no idea of the cost, which is evidently calculated on a per-user basis. (Guess it is no $50 deal!)

Still, interesting looking. I have had to estimate print jobs on occasion, and it is a complex job (there are several books written about it), so this might be a welcome tool.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
PeterArnel
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Posts: 997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
PowerQuote print estimating software from Mace Estimating promises to “make print estimating a breeze.” Handles offset and digital print jobs, direct or brokered, with estimates based on user-customizable production rates.
I think Kathleen - its the "User Rates" that would be the problem - Estimating even the most smallest job can be difficult if you havent the experience - for example an A4 letter print both sides can be printed on twice size paper - with the front and back printed together and the job pinted one side and turned over and the other side printed using the same plates and cut in half - this requires one set of plates an inital set up and say 5 mins to turn the sheet over - However if the paper has a watermark in u will have to print it two up of the front and two up of the reverse - requiring two sets of plates and two make readies.
I think its best to phone acouple of printers and get an estimate - they may also suggest more efficient ways of producing the job
Peter
I have lost the easy reply box and had to push Quote to get this box up - have i done something in my set up

Last edited by ktinkel; 08-19-2006 at 06:54 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel View Post
I think its best to phone acouple of printers and get an estimate - they may also suggest more efficient ways of producing the job
Absolutely — I thought that product was for printers, not customers.

However, when I was doing a lot of print brokering — going to camera people, platemakers, paper providers, press operators, etc. — I did get to thinking like a printer for a while.

But everything I knew I learned from printers!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
peter: I have lost the easy reply box and had to push Quote to get this box up - have i done something in my set up
No...it's not you...it's the forum software update that has a few things that are not quite right and we're working on it...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
PrintFire
Member
 
PrintFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester, NY - USA
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel View Post
Estimating even the most smallest job can be difficult if you havent the experience - for example an A4 letter print both sides can be printed on twice size paper - with the front and back printed together and the job pinted one side and turned over and the other side printed using the same plates and cut in half - this requires one set of plates an inital set up and say 5 mins to turn the sheet over - However if the paper has a watermark in u will have to print it two up of the front and two up of the reverse - requiring two sets of plates and two make readies.
Yes and no, Peter. The small jobs can easily be estimated with the Free Edition of Morning Flight (http://www.morningflight.com) by someone with very little experience. I know. I've owned a printing business for 35 years. Where I do agree with you is that complex projects, or even simple jobs calling for large quantities, should be checked with a commercial printer before they empty your pocketbook and litter the press room floor.

Ditto for running any job two-up if the paper is watermarked. Chances are that unless the letterhead is run one-up (or 4-up), the watermark will be sideways. No problem on large quantities. The mill will be happy to supply paper with a custom mark of your own.

To see just how easy it is to estimate with Morning Flight, visit http://www.morningflighthelp.com a blind help site that's still under development (you saw it here first!). Click on "Making your first Quote."

   
__________________
Hal Heindel
Unitac International Inc.
http://www.unitac.com
http://www.printfire.com
PrintFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
PeterArnel
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Posts: 997
Default

Hal
Kathleen was right - I thought it sounded like programmes which are around- giving guideline prices for customers. I have been an MIS writer for 20 years - but have always bolted on an estimating system .
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Print CSS Problems dthomsen8 Web Site Building & Maintenance 9 02-20-2006 06:06 AM
print media CSS dacoyle Web Site Building & Maintenance 17 02-16-2006 04:40 AM
Print PDF Richard Waller Web Site Building & Maintenance 26 01-18-2006 07:33 PM
Awsome Estimating Software Craig Business Matters 7 10-05-2005 05:18 PM
Print Magazines PeterArnel Print Production & Automation 8 09-23-2005 02:39 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.