DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 08-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Print estimating software

PowerQuote print estimating software from Mace Estimating promises to “make print estimating a breeze.” Handles offset and digital print jobs, direct or brokered, with estimates based on user-customizable production rates.

Has a long list of features, probably best understood by a printer. Available for Mac or Windows (with an on-line estimator). Have no idea of the cost, which is evidently calculated on a per-user basis. (Guess it is no $50 deal!)

Still, interesting looking. I have had to estimate print jobs on occasion, and it is a complex job (there are several books written about it), so this might be a welcome tool.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
PowerQuote print estimating software from Mace Estimating promises to “make print estimating a breeze.” Handles offset and digital print jobs, direct or brokered, with estimates based on user-customizable production rates.
I think Kathleen - its the "User Rates" that would be the problem - Estimating even the most smallest job can be difficult if you havent the experience - for example an A4 letter print both sides can be printed on twice size paper - with the front and back printed together and the job pinted one side and turned over and the other side printed using the same plates and cut in half - this requires one set of plates an inital set up and say 5 mins to turn the sheet over - However if the paper has a watermark in u will have to print it two up of the front and two up of the reverse - requiring two sets of plates and two make readies.
I think its best to phone acouple of printers and get an estimate - they may also suggest more efficient ways of producing the job
Peter
I have lost the easy reply box and had to push Quote to get this box up - have i done something in my set up

Last edited by ktinkel; 08-19-2006 at 06:54 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel View Post
I think its best to phone acouple of printers and get an estimate - they may also suggest more efficient ways of producing the job
Absolutely — I thought that product was for printers, not customers.

However, when I was doing a lot of print brokering — going to camera people, platemakers, paper providers, press operators, etc. — I did get to thinking like a printer for a while.

But everything I knew I learned from printers!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
peter: I have lost the easy reply box and had to push Quote to get this box up - have i done something in my set up
No...it's not you...it's the forum software update that has a few things that are not quite right and we're working on it...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
PrintFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel View Post
Estimating even the most smallest job can be difficult if you havent the experience - for example an A4 letter print both sides can be printed on twice size paper - with the front and back printed together and the job pinted one side and turned over and the other side printed using the same plates and cut in half - this requires one set of plates an inital set up and say 5 mins to turn the sheet over - However if the paper has a watermark in u will have to print it two up of the front and two up of the reverse - requiring two sets of plates and two make readies.
Yes and no, Peter. The small jobs can easily be estimated with the Free Edition of Morning Flight (http://www.morningflight.com) by someone with very little experience. I know. I've owned a printing business for 35 years. Where I do agree with you is that complex projects, or even simple jobs calling for large quantities, should be checked with a commercial printer before they empty your pocketbook and litter the press room floor.

Ditto for running any job two-up if the paper is watermarked. Chances are that unless the letterhead is run one-up (or 4-up), the watermark will be sideways. No problem on large quantities. The mill will be happy to supply paper with a custom mark of your own.

To see just how easy it is to estimate with Morning Flight, visit http://www.morningflighthelp.com a blind help site that's still under development (you saw it here first!). Click on "Making your first Quote."

http://www.printfire.com
PrintFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Hal
Kathleen was right - I thought it sounded like programmes which are around- giving guideline prices for customers. I have been an MIS writer for 20 years - but have always bolted on an estimating system .
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote