DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 08-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
zofiaphoto

Default DW8 mouse-over errors

Hi again. I've fixed many of the problems my site had, and then ran an error report. Every thumbnail has a layer that pops up when you roll over. I did this with "show/hide layers". Every one of them is showing an error and I can't figure out why. Can someone please look at the site and let me know what the problem is? Thanks so much! Z

http://www.zofiaphoto.com/trad.html

is one of the pages that are showing errors like this.

Also, if there's a better way than "show/hide layers", in Dreamweaver 8, please let me know. Thank you.
zofiaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

When do you get the error? It works in Firefox without complaining.

As for layers: I think that there is an answer to one of your earlier posts, i.e. using CSS to show and hide elements is the way to go. (Having had a very quick look at your code, it looks like that is what DW is doing, just calling it layers.)
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Richard Waller

I am sorry, I really don'y like the pictures changing on mouse-over. I would prefer to have a 250 wide picture and then click on that to get a larger one. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. And for some reason it is slow to load.

Why have we got a new thread here; can the sysop please to move it?

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

It works fine in Camino and Safari on my Mac. Which browser were you using when you got the errors?

Old 08-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
Why have we got a new thread here; can the sysop please to move it?
It's fine as it is, Richard – Zofia has done the right thing in starting a new thread with a new problem.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

No error messages for me in Firefox, IE or Opera. Worked OK, but a bit slow to load, probably because there are some 33 images to load for each page.

One thing I did notice, the main image is not centered on the page for me unless I change the browser window width to make it so. I assume you want it centered? There is a tendency with DW to drag a layer to centralise it in your display screen, but never assume that others will use your preferred window width.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Ran an error report...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofiaphoto
Hi again. I've fixed many of the problems my site had, and then ran an error report. Every thumbnail has a layer that pops up when you roll over. I did this with "show/hide layers". Every one of them is showing an error and I can't figure out why. Can someone please look at the site and let me know what the problem is?
When you say you ran an error report, what specifically did you do? HTML Validation at www.w3.org does show three issues, CSS Validation less so, but neither one shows an error for every layer. If you can do a screen capture, that would be even better than a text description.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
zofiaphoto

Default update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
When you say you ran an error report, what specifically did you do? HTML Validation at www.w3.org does show three issues, CSS Validation less so, but neither one shows an error for every layer. If you can do a screen capture, that would be even better than a text description.
I did a "check browser support" and it came up with about 40 errors per page with Netscape 6.0. I use Safari myself, but am wondering if there would be a problem if someone did try to view it with Netscape 6.0?
This is what it says for each mouseover/out...

"the onmouseout attribute of the IMG tag is not supported. (Netscape Navigator 6.0)"

Yes, I do know it's slow. A couple people have said that it's my host that's super slow. I'm looking into who to use next. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofiaphoto View Post
Yes, I do know it's slow. A couple people have said that it's my host that's super slow.
Zaphia, as I've suggested before, some of your pages are awfully slow because they preload a lot of full-size pictures (not just the thumbnails). All of those pictures need to download before the page fully renders.

While preloading makes the page feel "crisp" once everything is downloaded, the waiting time before it's all downloaded is annoying and makes it feel slow. That has little to do with the speed of your server: no matter how fast your server, for that amount of data it's the speed of the visitor's connection that counts; the gallery pages certainly are slow for me; and I have a DSL connection but not the fastest (not the slowest either). People with a similar or slower connection might decide leave before the page has loaded - either because they don't want to wait that long for something to appear of because they may think the page is broken (which in a sense it is if it makes them leave!).

A solution would be to not preload the full-size images (maybe not even the thumbnails), and show the large version only on a mouseclick rather than mouseover (a clearer action for the visitor and much "easier" to wait for the result of that action). Also consider to show one image by default so the page is not so "empty" when no image has been selected.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
zofiaphoto

Default Thanks

Thank you, I'm actually now looking into using a jalbum instead. I will certainly change to "onclick" and not pre load images if the album doesn't work. Your advice is invaluable, thanks! Zofia.