DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 08-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
zofiaphoto

Default Dreamweaver, Show-Hide Layers, not working

My program crashed. When it came back up, I tried to use "Show-Hide Layers", and got this awful message, plus it said it couldn't find any layer. The layers are definitely there and it said this on every page...." "Macintosh HD: Applications: Macromedia Dreamweaver 8: Configuration: Behaviors: Actions: Show-Hide Layers.js" The object is not currently in a document"
What the?
zofiaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Sounds like some part of the program has become corrupt. I'd usually recommend a full re-install. I thought Layer behavious had been removed from DW, in fact I'm sure that some of them were not in mX2004. I don't know if the code has been updated, but I wouldn't use these unless you are able to ensure that they will work in all current browsers. They use pretty advanced JavaScript so debugging can be a problem. Usually we would now hide/reveal layers using CSS, which is a lot easier to do!

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
zofiaphoto

I'd love to know how to use hide/reveal layers in CSS. Could you guide me to it? I'm using Dreamweaver 8. Thanks. Z
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
zofiaphoto

Also, how do I un-install/re-install the program? Sorry for such a newbie question, I just don't want to screw it up.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Uninstall/Reinstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofiaphoto
Also, how do I un-install/re-install the program? Sorry for such a newbie question, I just don't want to screw it up.
Kelvyn is the expert on Dreamweaver here, so wait for his reply. I would comment that you should be sure to back up your DW site definitions, if you have more than one.

http://mm-exporter.joexx.de/

is a free tool for DW site definition backup and restore. This tool does not back up the actual site on your hard drive or the server, but you should be doing that, too. Usually a tool like Nero, writing onto a CD, is sufficient for that backup.

I messed up DW MX 2004, and was able to uninstall it and reinstall it without any problems, and I would agree with Kelvyn that this will almost certainly do the trick for you.

I used DW layers in a college course last winter, but I doubt that I would want to actually use them in a production web site for a commercial purpose, as being to complex, when there are other techniques available.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
On windows you do it via the control panel. But I think you are using a Mac? In which case I have no idea as I have not used an Apple machine for about 25 years.

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Are you on a Mac?

If so, is there is an uninstaller on your original disks? (I do not have Dreamweaver 8, myself, so can’t look.) If so, run that, and it should delete the app and all its bits and pieces with it.

If not, you will need to do it the hard way.

First: If there is a registration/authorization scheme (like the ones in Adobe CS apps), you may need to de-register your program or go through some other song and dance before you delete anything. Then you may have to re-register after installing (not sure, as I do not have DW 8).
  • In Applications, drag the app itself (and any other stuff stored with it) into the trash.

::
  • In Home > Library > Application Support, throw out the Macromedia folder (or if you have Shockwave or other Macromedia apps, delete the Dreamweaver things inside).

• In Library > Caches, look to see if there is a cache for the program and delete that.

• In Library > Preferences, delete any Dreamweaver prefs (may be loose or in another Macromedia folder).
That should clean everything out and you should be able to reinstall.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
I'd love to know how to use hide/reveal layers in CSS.
It is quite advanced as you must know XHTML/CSS/JavaScript. But there are a couple of useful pages here and here.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
zofiaphoto

Just learned it's easier than that! I just drag the app to the trash and POOF! It's uninstalled. Mac's are great. I re-installed the program and everything works fine now. I also backed up everything on a cd. Phew, that's better.

I re-vamped my site a little bit for better navigation, still have a couple more things to do, but I'm pleased for now.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Just learned it's easier than that! I just drag the app to the trash and POOF! It's uninstalled. Mac's are great. I re-installed the program and everything works fine now. I also backed up everything on a cd. Phew, that's better.

I re-vamped my site a little bit for better navigation, still have a couple more things to do, but I'm pleased for now.
Excellent! Congratulations.