DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 08-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
zofiaphoto

Default help me make it better!

Hi, I'm new here. I designed my own site using Dreamweaver 8. It's my first attempt at ANYTHING like this. I know next to nothing about computers and html. I read Dreamweaver for Dummies and went for it. I'm pretty pleased with my site. I do need to re-scan my pictures, using my new scanner to make them look a lot better. My big problem is that it takes a long time to load the images. Each thumbnail is 4k and each photo, (in it's own layer) is 20-60k. I don't know how to make the file size of each of these photos smaller so that the pages load faster. Any ideas? Thanks! Zofia

http://www.zofiaphoto.com
zofiaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofiaphoto
Dreamweaver 8. It's my first attempt at ANYTHING like this. I know next to nothing about computers and html. I read Dreamweaver for Dummies and went for it. I'm pretty pleased with my site.
It looks pretty and distinctive, not a cookie-cutter sort of web design. There are technical problems, but your photos are beautiful and the design is clean and welcoming.

Quote:
I do need to re-scan my pictures, using my new scanner to make them look a lot better. My big problem is that it takes a long time to load the images. Each thumbnail is 4k and each photo, (in it's own layer) is 20-60k. I don't know how to make the file size of each of these photos smaller so that the pages load faster.
I am not sure what the problem is with the photos, but file size doesn’t look like the culprit. Someone else here can probably figure that out.

Couple of things you didn’t ask about that I noticed:
  • You specify font-family: "Lucida Calligraphy" but since few viewers will have it available your page is being rendered in a default font — Verdana, in my case. (By the way, the quotation marks are mandatory around any multi-word font name. Some of yours are missing.
  • You also do not specify a generic alternative; if you had asked for "Lucida Calligraphy", serif, then at least I would be seeing your page in Georgia rather than a sans-serif face.
  • Your CSS styles are on each page; it is more efficient for browsers if you use an external stylesheet.
  • You are using justified type (flush left and right). Browsers do not hyphenate or distribute extra space along each line, as desktop publishing programs do. So your text has large spaces in some lines, which is very distracting. Better to use left formatting for online reading.
  • The site does not validate (pass a sort of test at the W3C site), and it should. Eight of the 11 errors are small ones (photos missing the required alt statements).
I hope someone explains the problem with the photos.

And welcome to the forum!

::

Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
  • You specify font-family: "Lucida Calligraphy" but since few viewers will have it available your page is being rendered in a default font — Verdana, in my case. (By the way, the quotation marks are mandatory around any multi-word font name. Some of yours are missing.
  • You also do not specify a generic alternative; if you had asked for "Lucida Calligraphy", serif, then at least I would be seeing your page in Georgia rather than a sans-serif face.
For Georgia to come up, it needs to be specified as an alternative; the most common default serif font is actually yucky Times or Times New Roman! So that would need to be:
Code:
font-family: "Lucida Calligraphy", Georgia, serif;
Agree with all of your other points.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Hi, I'm new here. I designed my own site using Dreamweaver 8. It's my first attempt at ANYTHING like this. I know next to nothing about computers and html.
If you're coming from there, I must say it's a really nice design. Well done! I also like how you've made the thumbnails, not as just a smaller size but actually crops from larger images.

But as Kathleen already pointed out, there are still lots of technical problems. In addition to what she brings up already, here's a few more things to look at:

One thing that immediately jumps at me is that you have not defined a background color for the page - do not count on it being white! Even if you see it as white, that is because your window background color on your machine is defined as white. Mine is off-white, and the white background of your logo stands out against it and makes the not-white page background obvious. And some people may actually have a black background defined on their machines, or possibly even the dark red you use for text - which would make it totally illegible. So you should get into the habit of always defining a background color, at least for the body.

Also it looks like none of your images have the required alt attribute - not even your logo. Alt text is to be shown in place of an image when it isn't visible - either because it's not not loaded yet, or because the visitor has turned images off, or is using a text-only browser, or is blind and listening[ to the page instead of looking at it. Only images that are purely decorative (not actual content) can have an empty alt attribute (alt="") but every other one need a text define that can replace the function of the image on the page.

Give the way you use your logo, it functions as page heading as well, and thus the image should be wrapped in a h1 heading element.

The hover color you haev on links also gives very poor contrast - it's nwearly impossible to read the text when the mouse is overr it; try using a different background color instead of (or in addition to) a different foreground color to give hover feedback.

And on this page you're using a script to preload all images (all full-size images!) - with the result that it does indeed take a very long time for all images to be loaded and teh page being fully rendered. Besides, there is ahorizontal scrollbar in my browser because the page is much wider than fits in a 800-pixels-wide browser window. The text "Life is the flower for which love is the honey. ~Victor Hugo" is mostly off the side. Also when I'm not scrolling way down, hovering over the thumbnails causes images to appear but they're cutt off - which rather spoils the effect.

Enough homework for now, I think

Last edited by annc; 08-04-2006 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Fixed italic tag
Old 08-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
For Georgia to come up, it needs to be specified as an alternative; the most common default serif font is actually yucky Times or Times New Roman!
I just said that I would have seen Georgia, which is my default.

But I wouldn’t hate seeing Times at display sizes, just not for on-screen text!

::

Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
zofiaphoto

Marjolein, Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is EXACTLY the kind of info I need. There is some that an amateur like me doesn't quite understand, but in the meantime I will fix what I know how. I'd love for you to check back with me after I make some changes. Thank you! Off to the beach, Zofia.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Marjolein, Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is EXACTLY the kind of info I need. There is some that an amateur like me doesn't quite understand, but in the meantime I will fix what I know how. I'd love for you to check back with me after I make some changes. Thank you! Off to the beach, Zofia.
Beach sounds like a good idea.

And if (after the beach) there's anything you don't (quite) understand, just ask!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

To avoid missing out alt tags on images in DreamWeaver go to Edit/Preferences/Accessibility and make sure that you have selected all 4 objects at the top of that panel. Then you will be prompted for alt text when adding an image to a page.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
zofiaphoto

Thanks, I did just that now. "Images" wasn't previously marked. Apparently it's my host/server that's super slow. Switching it up with the contract's up.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
dthomsen8

Default Meta Tags

Quote:
Any ideas? Thanks! Zofia
http://www.zofiaphoto.com
Read the thread nearby about Meta Tags. There is a happy medium between too much detail, and having useful information in meta tags.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote