DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default Color laser printers

My little Epson inkspitter (c84) has pretty much died. Nice beat, dances well but no ink hits the paper. Not useful. Since I've still got some carts left, I figured I'd just get another but no such luck, they've gone to the c88, which uses different carts.

So I'm looking at the current crop of HP laser printers instead. The economics are certainly weird, when you can almost get a new printer, complete with full carts, for the price of the carts alone, but they all seem to be that way. Nobody ever called inkjet ink cheap either. ;-)

HP seems to offer a reasonable blend of size/duplexing/PS emulation/network connectibility in a sub $1k printer (several of them, in fact).

But I wonder about photo quality. I don't really need or expect it to match the best I can get out of even the humble little Epson. Mostly I just print the occasional snapshot to give to friends or tack on the wall.

The main usage would be the occasional business brochure, misc labels/cards and the annual Christmas card run. All of which the Epson did a nice job of as well.

Am I nuts not to just get the C88 and some more ink and find a friend who can use the old carts? Or does the laserjet make sense?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote