DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Zoom layouts for low-sighted readers

In 2001, before cataract surgery, I was able to read the web better than any other medium — mainly because at least some sites let me zoom in to super-size the type. By the end of that icky period in my life, I needed letters almost half an inch tall on the screen in order to read. Forget books or, at the end, newspapers or magazines.

If sites were designed in a useful way, I could widen the screen sufficiently to read a few words a line. But many were not; and I still remember my frustration. Fortunately for me, I had cataract surgery on both eyes during February 2002, and those bad days are behind me. But I can still remember.

So far, I haven’t made a zoom page for any site, but do think I probably ought to, so I have been reading up on it. Joe Clark is a staunch proponent of this approach to satisfying low-sight readers. If you’re interested, that’s where you should begin reading:
If you’re wondering how many web surfers have reduced vision, I do not know. (Not sure anyone does.) But I suspect it may be a larger group than the blind — if only because so many of us get cataracts as we age.

::

Old 07-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
iamback

Default Other options

Not to detract from the idea of zoom layouts (which is a good one) a mention should also be made of screen magnification software which can "zoom" any area of the screen.

Also, on Windows systems at least, there is the option of configuring "large fonts" so that the user interface of - properly designed - software is also adapted and better readable. Does such a feature exist on Mac systems?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Not to detract from the idea of zoom layouts (which is a good one) a mention should also be made of screen magnification software which can "zoom" any area of the screen.

Also, on Windows systems at least, there is the option of configuring "large fonts" so that the user interface of - properly designed - software is also adapted and better readable. Does such a feature exist on Mac systems?
I tried using some screen magnification software and hated it — it disconcerted me. (Not so hard, maybe!)

I don’t think there is a system-wide method of requiring large fonts, but every browser offers control. Best is the Control/Command-+ or - (easy to remember and use).

Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I don’t think there is a system-wide method of requiring large fonts, but every browser offers control. Best is the Control/Command-+ or - (easy to remember and use).
IF the CSS is written properly. It's possible to write CSS that disables Ctrl+, I think using px instead of im or percentage. More of a problem in IE than Mozilla browsers (big surprise there).

Old 07-18-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

Using px only affects MSIE and its cousins as far as I know.

In Opera you zoom in on the images as well as the text which allows visually impared users to at least get an idea of what's there.

Plust the page layout stays intact!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:46 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom
In IE at least, that is true. And not in Gecko-based browsers. But I don't know about other browser families.

Quote:
In Opera you zoom in on the images as well as the text which allows visually impared users to at least get an idea of what's there.

Plust the page layout stays intact!
While this is an obvious advantages (mostly) of Opera since it operates on *any* page (though many images tend to "break" if you enlarge or reduce them too much dynamically), I should add that it is possible to code web pages so that images scale along with text. Not as "perfect" as in Opera (maybe) but your visitors don't have to be using Opera to provide them with that advantage.

For a small (though limited) example, see my travel blog site, and watch what happens to the page header when you increase the font size. Even in IE. ;-)

Old 07-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:

The IE problem is fixed in IE7 which has a CTRL+/- zoom function, which does the same as the Opera zoom.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom

With "cousins" I meant other browsers using the same rendering engine as MSIE, perhaps I should have been clearer about that.

If IE7 is different from earlier versions, will that affect those who use assistive technology (I understand most only works with MSIE)?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
If IE7 is different from earlier versions, will that affect those who use assistive technology (I understand most only works with MSIE)?
A lot of users of AT still use IE (which exposes them to all the vulnerabilities) for browsing; but AT doesn't use only IE - most tools work with any application provided that application is written with accessibility in mind. But I hear IBM is working with Firefox to make the application more accessible (they've made great progress already); and some are usiong Opera which has its own accessibility features (though somewhat quirky).