DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 07-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default May I Complain

Tonight my wife and I went out to dinner at a chain restaurant. Which one is not relevant, because most of them are up to this trick.

The price of non-alcoholic beverages is not on the menu. Beer, wines, etc., have prices. That's so they can charge $1.99, in this case, for a Coke or a coffee and spring it on you when you get the check. Our waiter told us the price, but only because I asked. I think this is wrong, but maybe it is legal.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
Jeece

I don't know what's more revolting - the lack of menu price for this item or the actual price for a glass of soft drink (700ml?) - it costs more than a 2 litre bottle (plus, they don't even use the real stuff, it's even cheaper to make). I don't know if you have a consumer protection agency down there in the states - you could ring them up (or look it up on the web) to see if a restaurant is in its right to "hide" an item they offer from the menu, especially if the waiters don't inform you of the cost. Every consumer must be aware of the prices of the things he buys. I doubt its illegal, since you noted that many restaurants use this method, but maybe nobody (or not enough customers) complained yet.

A tactic (if you feel mischievious) at one of these restaurants would be to order a drink without asking the price... Upon the bill arrival, just refuse to pay because you didn't know its price, and the said price is nowhere to be seen. Ask to talk to the manager.

Also, about the actual prices... Here in Canadian bars (I bet it's the same worldwide), you can get soft drinks at the same price, if not higher than a beer. So much for encouraging designated drivers.

Of course I signed the proof, I just didn't proofread it. Don't you do that there?
Jeece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
gary

Note that poured coffee and pop frequently come with free refills at restaurants.

Not that I agree with the pricing, but my parents were in the restaurant business a long time ago and the cost of the pop or coffee was just a small part of the equation.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Secret prices

I am not complaining about the prices, I am complaining about secret prices.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
Note that poured coffee and pop frequently come with free refills at restaurants.
I don't know where they do but here in the Netherlands they certainly don't. Free refills are very unusual (a good marketing trick if used at all).

And, by the way, I've never seen a menu that doesn't list the prices of some drinks while it does list others. I doubt that would be legal here - though some restaurants have "blind" menus (none of the items have a price given) to be given to guests of a host so they won't know the price of anything at all their host is paying for.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote