DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 07-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Kelvyn
Staff

Default UK Accessibility Guidelines updated and free!

The British Standards Institution’s (BSI) document “Guide to good practice in commissioning accessible websites” is now available free of charge from the Disability Rights Commission.

The document is "for those responsible for commissioning or maintaining public-facing websites and web-based services" , which I guess includes all web designers in the UK. Previously we had to stump up £30 for this which was in hard copy only, but now it is here in .doc or pdf format - no html version and there are the usual BSI/Government terms attached!

You can get the document here.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
The British Standards Institution’s (BSI) document “Guide to good practice in commissioning accessible websites” is now available free of charge from the Disability Rights Commission.
(...)
To what extent does this document match UK legislation for accessibility of websites?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Previously we had to stump up £30 for this which was in hard copy only, but now it is here in .doc or pdf format - no html version and there are the usual BSI/Government terms attached!
Absolutely brilliant:
Quote:
You are not permitted to place an electronic copy of the PAS78 document on your personal, company or organisation’s internal or external IT network (...) you are permitted to print one copy of the licensed standard (if required), for use at any one time.
And how, pray, does one print an online document without downloading it first, and thus necessarily "placing an electronic copy" on your own computer or (if it's networked) network? I refrained from disconnecting this computer from the LAN before downloading... And added a little comment on the download form:
Quote:
BTW, you offer a copy for *download* here while your Terms and Conditions permit only one *printed* copy. I can't print until I've downloaded though so I'll interpret your terms as they were hopefully intended, not as they are worded.
Oh, and currently I can't use my printer (apart from the fact that I can normally *never* use without using the LAN) - am I supposed to not only disconnect from my LAN while downloading but also physically connecting a printer to this machine I've downloaded it to (and installing a driver for it) in order to be allowed to print it?

Has it occurred to the BSI that this is actually the 21st century?

Old 07-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

BSI, like all standards organizations, very seldom publishes anything except as hard copy, and even more seldom gives anything away. The Netherlands standard organization, ANSI, etc. will have the same policy.

This document is an exception: agree to BSI's conditions, download the document, and if you don't observe the conditions, don't tell anyone.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
dthomsen8

Default BSI's long arm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Marjolein:

BSI, like all standards organizations, very seldom publishes anything except as hard copy, and even more seldom gives anything away. The Netherlands standard organization, ANSI, etc. will have the same policy.

This document is an exception: agree to BSI's conditions, download the document, and if you don't observe the conditions, don't tell anyone.
If I don't observe their conditions in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I rather doubt that BSI's arm is long enough to do anything about it.

Beyond that, it seems strange that you can't brag about following their standards.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
iamback

Quote:
The ISO has a number of important and much-used standards freely available online though. Without silly, impossible to agree to conditions. ECMA will even send you a CD with the ECMA script standard, free of charge. There are standards organizations that live in the 21st century, even if most of their dcocuments are still in printed form only.

Quote:
Strictly speaking, you cannot download if you do agree to the conditions. Downloading means placing it on your own computer which very likely is going to be networked - even if it's a private person downloading. Printing equally means downloading and placing it on a computer (even if not permanently). They don't seem to know how printing an online document works. And they offer a document for download if you agree not to download. That's what prompted my comment about this being the 21st century.

It's the impossible-to-agree-to conditions that are the real exception. Their lawyers need a lesson in how the Internet works.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:14 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Accessible websites by Civica

Quote:

Combining your message here, with the thread by AnnC on her library system in Australia, and http://www.civicaplc.com/uk as the parent company of the Australian Civica supplying her library system, I am astonished that this company is supplying hundreds, or maybe even thousands of software systems of various kinds without considering accessible website standards or even XHTML standards.

Civica is a publicly traded company in the UK, and their web site provides full information on their finances and management. Looking at their Australia or Asia operations is to miss the bigger picture elsewhere in the UK and USA.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

Strictly speaking, you cannot download if you do agree to the conditions

That's glaringly obvious, since after agreeing to the conditions, you are thanked and invited to download either a Word document or a PDF document. But no national standards organization will make available on-line a document for which it holds the rights to make use of the copyright, except under exceptional circumstances. Some do make them available as part of a subscription service, indicating that they not only have a 21st century grasp of the possibilities but also an old-fashioned grasp of commercial principles.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
iamback

Indeed ... the mind is busy boggling these days!