DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
bmann

Default PS Type 1 fonts - Mac OSX

I got a postscript type 1 font from a client but I cannot load it in any way. I've read around a bit and it's possible that I need the screen font file that should accompany it? Otherwise, I've heard Adobe Type Manager Light can "rasterize" the print font file. Is this the program I should download? I get a corrupt HQX when I download it from Adobe.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
bmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmann
I got a postscript type 1 font from a client but I cannot load it in any way. I've read around a bit and it's possible that I need the screen font file that should accompany it? Otherwise, I've heard Adobe Type Manager Light can "rasterize" the print font file. Is this the program I should download? I get a corrupt HQX when I download it from Adobe.
Well I got a version from Fontshop and installed it. However, the help file seems to indicate that I need the screen font file for postscript type 1 fonts unless I am using the Deluxe version....
Old 07-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Well I got a version from Fontshop and installed it. However, the help file seems to indicate that I need the screen font file for postscript type 1 fonts unless I am using the Deluxe version....
What did you get from FontShop? ATM? Neither ATM standard nor deluxe will replace the missing screen font.

ATM does do rasterization — for screen viewing. Instead of using a bitmap screen font (at some particular size, so it gets stair-stepped or jagged when resized) ATM creates an on-the-fly screen font — tailored to size and resolution — by rasterizing the outline.

But you still need both parts of a Type 1 font — the outline and the screen font — in order to install and use a T1 font on any Mac. (The screen font contains the metric information and other required data.)

Besides that, ATM only works with Mac OS X in Classic mode. This is true of both ATM standard and ATM Deluxe, which are obsolete as far as OS X is concerned.

I am afraid you must contact your client and request the rest of the font. Or buy your own complete copy.

::

Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
bmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
What did you get from FontShop? ATM? Neither ATM standard nor deluxe will replace the missing screen font.

ATM does do rasterization — for screen viewing. Instead of using a bitmap screen font (at some particular size, so it gets stair-stepped or jagged when resized) ATM creates an on-the-fly screen font — tailored to size and resolution — by rasterizing the outline.

But you still need both parts of a Type 1 font — the outline and the screen font — in order to install and use a T1 font on any Mac. (The screen font contains the metric information and other required data.)

Besides that, ATM only works with Mac OS X in Classic mode. This is true of both ATM standard and ATM Deluxe, which are obsolete as far as OS X is concerned.

I am afraid you must contact your client and request the rest of the font. Or buy your own complete copy.

::
Ah I see. Yeah I downloaded ATM light but it isn't extremely useful in OSX Tiger, as you said. Especially if it doesn't have a screen font to rasterize.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Ah I see. Yeah I downloaded ATM light but it isn't extremely useful in OSX Tiger, as you said. Especially if it doesn't have a screen font to rasterize.
It doesn’t rasterize the screen font — it rasterizes the outline font (something like what Acrobat does to your files).

But the screen font is required to use Type 1 fonts on the Mac.

Technical point, but I thought it might help to unconfuse you!

Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
bmann

I see. Thanks for your help - I got the screen font file and it all seems to be working correctly.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I see. Thanks for your help - I got the screen font file and it all seems to be working correctly.
Oh, good. A happy ending, even if you to waste some annoying time!