DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
bmann
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 192
Default PS Type 1 fonts - Mac OSX

I got a postscript type 1 font from a client but I cannot load it in any way. I've read around a bit and it's possible that I need the screen font file that should accompany it? Otherwise, I've heard Adobe Type Manager Light can "rasterize" the print font file. Is this the program I should download? I get a corrupt HQX when I download it from Adobe.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
bmann
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmann
I got a postscript type 1 font from a client but I cannot load it in any way. I've read around a bit and it's possible that I need the screen font file that should accompany it? Otherwise, I've heard Adobe Type Manager Light can "rasterize" the print font file. Is this the program I should download? I get a corrupt HQX when I download it from Adobe.
Well I got a version from Fontshop and installed it. However, the help file seems to indicate that I need the screen font file for postscript type 1 fonts unless I am using the Deluxe version....
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmann
Well I got a version from Fontshop and installed it. However, the help file seems to indicate that I need the screen font file for postscript type 1 fonts unless I am using the Deluxe version....
What did you get from FontShop? ATM? Neither ATM standard nor deluxe will replace the missing screen font.

ATM does do rasterization — for screen viewing. Instead of using a bitmap screen font (at some particular size, so it gets stair-stepped or jagged when resized) ATM creates an on-the-fly screen font — tailored to size and resolution — by rasterizing the outline.

But you still need both parts of a Type 1 font — the outline and the screen font — in order to install and use a T1 font on any Mac. (The screen font contains the metric information and other required data.)

Besides that, ATM only works with Mac OS X in Classic mode. This is true of both ATM standard and ATM Deluxe, which are obsolete as far as OS X is concerned.

I am afraid you must contact your client and request the rest of the font. Or buy your own complete copy.


::

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
bmann
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
What did you get from FontShop? ATM? Neither ATM standard nor deluxe will replace the missing screen font.

ATM does do rasterization — for screen viewing. Instead of using a bitmap screen font (at some particular size, so it gets stair-stepped or jagged when resized) ATM creates an on-the-fly screen font — tailored to size and resolution — by rasterizing the outline.

But you still need both parts of a Type 1 font — the outline and the screen font — in order to install and use a T1 font on any Mac. (The screen font contains the metric information and other required data.)

Besides that, ATM only works with Mac OS X in Classic mode. This is true of both ATM standard and ATM Deluxe, which are obsolete as far as OS X is concerned.

I am afraid you must contact your client and request the rest of the font. Or buy your own complete copy.


::
Ah I see. Yeah I downloaded ATM light but it isn't extremely useful in OSX Tiger, as you said. Especially if it doesn't have a screen font to rasterize.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmann
Ah I see. Yeah I downloaded ATM light but it isn't extremely useful in OSX Tiger, as you said. Especially if it doesn't have a screen font to rasterize.
It doesn’t rasterize the screen font — it rasterizes the outline font (something like what Acrobat does to your files).

But the screen font is required to use Type 1 fonts on the Mac.

Technical point, but I thought it might help to unconfuse you!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
bmann
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 192
Default

I see. Thanks for your help - I got the screen font file and it all seems to be working correctly.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmann
I see. Thanks for your help - I got the screen font file and it all seems to be working correctly.
Oh, good. A happy ending, even if you to waste some annoying time!



.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Move fonts from fonts folder? Proudmoms Fonts & Typography 3 09-11-2006 07:58 AM
How do I get into Movable Type again? BinkyM Web Site Building & Maintenance 0 06-03-2006 12:45 PM
from moveable type to moving type? Sayling Fonts & Typography 1 10-04-2005 02:26 PM
How do you choose type? donmcc Fonts & Typography 12 05-25-2005 03:13 PM
Clear Type for the CRT? Michael Rowley Fonts & Typography 22 04-24-2005 06:34 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.