DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 07-13-2006, 03:58 AM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Comfort music

So what music do you listen to when you need to restore your equilibrium after a hard day at work, or a setback of some sort?

My current favourite for this situation is Nathan Milstein's recording of the Beethoven violin concerto, but it could as easily be Christian Zacharias playing the Beethoven Emperor concerto, or Anner Bylsma playing the Bach cello suites, or...

Old 07-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
So what music do you listen to when you need to restore your equilibrium after a hard day at work, or a setback of some sort?
Almost any Bach, by almost any player on almost any instrument. Art of the Fugue on strings (the Julliard) is a favorite. Cantata 78 (for alto and soprano).

Then Brahms chamber music.

And not to forget good old rock’n’roll: Janis Joplin and other 60s originals (and sometimes from the 50s as well). Makes me dance.

And the blues, almost any. Eric Clapton is a current favorite, but many others as well. Played loud.

But music is the ticket, in any event.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Jeece

I'm from the Generation Y (b. 1978), so my tastes in music are a little bit more, contaporary. But weirdly enough (according to my friends), I tend to like many "oldies" from the 50s to the 70s too. Hey, I went to see a Pink Floyd concert in 1994 when I was 15, I thought I was the youngest one in there. I even have the album "Frampton comes alive" in vinyl.

I kinda like some classic, though I have not very much knowledge of this style and thus I don't know exactly which era/author I prefer. But I know some "classics", Beethoven's 9th, Fur Elise, etc. lol Sometimes I log into a classic channel webcast, and listen whatever plays there, while reading, working or websurfing.

Some of my favorites to relax by, in no particular order:
Random classical webcast
Mike Oldfield, Tubular bells (I have the vinyl version too, but nothing to play it)
Pink Floyd, Animals (whole album, vinyl too)
Pink Floyd, Wish you were here (whole album)
Pink Floyd, Echoes (song)
Eric Satie, Gymnopédies

That's about all I could think of for now...

Of course I signed the proof, I just didn't proofread it. Don't you do that there?
Jeece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Played loud..
Absolutely!

I also find that any of the Brandenburg concertos will bring me back into equilibrium.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Well, Kathleen's reminded me that there is great music from other genres as well. But my mother threw out all my vinyl recordings of popular music at one stage, and I haven't replaced them. So now that's a new project for me. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #6
Dave Saunders

Phew, I can post again! I had to go into my control panel and change to the second editor choice. All day, I've been trying to post to this topic (as well as add a new one) with no luck.

To the topic at hand, I have iTunes randomly playing classical music from my Classical playlist. Over the last few years, I've been collecting British 20th music (largely thanks to Naxos). My English playlist has 3.3 days of music in it, and while I can't claim to like all of it, I find most of it to be marvelous listening.

The Naxos Quartets
by Peter Maxwell Davies
Not a tune in sight

are even growing on me. But my favorites are still the Arnold Symphonies and the Bax String Quartets. I've just added British Tuba Concertos to my collection and I'm very pleased with those. The disk has four works; three of the composers, I'd never before heard of: Steptoe, Golland and Gregson. The other is by Vaughaan Williams. Here is the list of British composers I have in my collection:

Alwyn, Arnold, Bax, Bliss, Bridge, Britten, Coates, Davies*, Delius, Dyson, Elgar, Finzi, Golland, Grainger**, Gregson, Holst, Moeran, Pitfield, Rawsthorne, Steptoe, Sullivan***, Tippett, Vaughan Williams, Walton

*Davies is often listed as Maxwell Davies, but by that logic, Tchaikovsky would appear as Ilych Tchaikovsky
**Grainger was Australian so I stretched the definition here.
***Sullivan of G&S fame; not quite 20th century; his Cello Concerto and Te Deum are remarkable

Dave
Dave Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

I like the Naxos collections. Did you know that some major libraries in the US are offering them as downloadable files? So you can try them before you buy. NYPL, Chicago, Denver, Brooklyn libraries have them, I think.

BTW, Grainger became an American, but Australia still claims him. We seem to claim almost anyone who spent more than a week here, in fact.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Bach "Double Violin Concertos"

Eric Clapton "Me and Mr Johnson" or "Unplugged"

Dave van Ronk "Hummin' to myself" -- predates Rod Stewart's American Songbooks by 20 years including the duets with a woman singer).

Lousier's Satie: Gymnopedies/Gnossiennes

And a wonderful Verve CD made in Germany and called "Compact Jazz -- The Sampler" with Ella Fitzgerald's crazy Mack the Knife recorded live in Berlin and a host of other goodies like Dinah Washington's "What a Difference a Day Makes" and Sarah Vaughan's "Lullaby of Birdland"

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith
And a wonderful Verve CD made in Germany and called "Compact Jazz -- The Sampler" with Ella Fitzgerald's crazy Mack the Knife recorded live in Berlin and a host of other goodies like Dinah Washington's "What a Difference a Day Makes" and Sarah Vaughan's "Lullaby of Birdland"
Sounds terrific, Hugh. I'll make a note to chase that one up.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
Dave Saunders

I forked over $20 to Naxos so I can listen to any track in their library, although I tend to just buy anything I don't already have among my favorite composers.

I've recently added the White Box of Prokofiev from Naxos and an incredible box of 40 CDs from Brilliant of Dvorak for a mere $62. Of the similar boxes they had on offer (a couple of months back) this was the only one where I felt I didn't have too much of the music already to make it worth it. At the time, I didn't have the early symphonies on CD (I have them on LP but I get so frustrated converting LPs to digital because of all the clicks that I've not bother making the transfer for most of them), and there was a host of chamber music in the box that I didn't already have.

Dave
Dave Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote