DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 07-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default E-mail list subscription best practice

I have a work site being developed on a 3rd party server, always a pain to enforce our "vast" standards (4 pages). The site is all submission forms for feedback with an option to sign up for future e-mail updates.

Currently, the form uses yes/no radio buttons to get on the e-mail list with Yes being the default value. I was taught to always make No the default, but I don't know if that's required by US federal spam law or just best practice.

It's also a database system that doesn't create IDs correctly, so the pages don't validate. I'd prefer (and think it's more user friendly) to use a single check box, unchecked by default, but other than my usability training I can't back up my position.

Any thoughts or firm data on this?

Thanks,

Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
The site is all submission forms for feedback with an option to sign up for future e-mail updates.

Currently, the form uses yes/no radio buttons to get on the e-mail list with Yes being the default value. I was taught to always make No the default, but I don't know if that's required by US federal spam law or just best practice.

I have no idea about any standard or regulation on this, but as a matter of simple courtesy and openness, you don’t force people to opt out of things.

It makes the owner of the site seem sneaky and underhanded, IMHO. (Mind you, it is a very common practice, and not only on the web).

Be interesting to hear if there is any formal rule.

:

Old 07-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I have no idea about any standard or regulation on this, but as a matter of simple courtesy and openness, you don’t force people to opt out of things.

It makes the owner of the site seem sneaky and underhanded, IMHO. (Mind you, it is a very common practice, and not only on the web).

Be interesting to hear if there is any formal rule.

:
Kathleen, I agree completely. Though my host, Textdrive, does require all lists to be Opt In. One of the things I like about them.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
jrabold

Quote:
Currently, the form uses yes/no radio buttons to get on the e-mail list with Yes being the default value.
I could live with that IF a follow-up opt-in were required (submitting the form sends a message to the address submitted requiring a response). But if it were all up to me I'd have the form default to No as well.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
There's plenty of "Best practice" literature out there - and it's vital to follow those principles these days in order not to be considered a spammer and end up in the black lists (some of which are very difficult to get off of once you're on).

A few links (by no means exhaustive) that I found well worth reading:
Try this Google search (or variants) to find more relevant pages.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote