DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 07-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Homeopathic remedies for animals

Quote:
mike: Fortunately we found a holistic vet who is treating her and, so far, she seems fine but we always worry if she doesn't leap up full of energy in the morning.
I'm so glad to hear that Tess is doing well...what sorts of things did the vet recommend?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I'm so glad to hear that Tess is doing well...what sorts of things did the vet recommend?

Terrie
A couple of homeopathic pills (carcinosin and phosphorus) -- one a day for 2 weeks and then once a week after that

She was already having a painkiller for arthritis and the vet changed that to Metacam

She also has a vitamin B17 tablet twice a day and an enzym tablet that helps to activate the b17

She also has Flor Essence first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

We're not sure which of the treatments is doing the most good but we've decided that we'll try vitamin B17 and Flor Essence ourselves should the need arise.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: A couple of homeopathic pills (carcinosin and phosphorus) -- one a day for 2 weeks and then once a week after that
My knowledge of homeopathic rememdies is limited to what I've used myself (arnica) and what I've used on Zo (ledum, antimonium)...I rely on Zo's bliss inducer Dr. Joyce Harman who is a DVM and her practices specializes in homeopathy, accupuncture and chiropractic for horses...

>>She was already having a painkiller for arthritis and the vet changed that to Metacam

Does the vet know anything about Hilton Herbs (UK based) as they have a canine division and I know a lot of people here in the US who use their herbs for the equine side and have been quite pleased with them...they have a section on canine mobility that might be worth checking out...

I'm glad you've been able to find someone who has been able to help Tess...

Terrie
Old 07-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Does the vet know anything about Hilton Herbs (UK based) as they have a canine division and I know a lot of people here in the US who use their herbs for the equine side and have been quite pleased with them...they have a section on canine mobility that might be worth checking out...
Thanks, I'll take a look at Hilton Herbs. As well as being a pain killer, Metacam can be used as part of a chemotherapy treatment so it might be that it's also helping with the cancer.

www.welshframing.com
Old 07-14-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: Thanks, I'll take a look at Hilton Herbs.
Do let me know what you think...

>>As well as being a pain killer, Metacam can be used as part of a chemotherapy treatment so it might be that it's also helping with the cancer.

Very interesting!

Terrie
Old 07-15-2006, 12:59 AM   #6
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Do let me know what you think...
When I looked at their website I noticed they also do Bach Remedies which we've used in the past to good effect.

I see they also do herbs for horses. Audrey is planning on buying a horse in November so we're now interested in finding out about things for horses.

Mike

www.welshframing.com
Old 07-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: When I looked at their website I noticed they also do Bach Remedies which we've used in the past to good effect.
I love the Bach remedies...they used to be quite difficult to get here in the States but are readily available now although pricey...

Years ago, we used to order them directly from the Bach Centre in England and once when my mom was going to be in London we ordered 4 sets of the 10ml size remedies and had them sent to her hotel. The funny part of it was that she didn't really know what they were and had a terrible time getting through US customs with them because all she knew what that we'd told her they were homeopathic remedies and that the bottles shouldn't be opened as we figured someone would contaminate them...she was only moderately pissed off when she got home...'-}}

>>I see they also do herbs for horses.

Yes...I believe that they started originally doing equine herbal combos...

>>Audrey is planning on buying a horse in November so we're now interested in finding out about things for horses.

Ohhhh!!! How very exciting!!! Will you keep it on your property? If so, then just one horse won't do...you'll have to get at least 2 because as herd animals, they get lonely by themselves...'-}}

What sort of riding does Audrey do?

Terrie
Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Just found out that apparently in the UK (and perhaps the EU), that as of September you will no longer be able to buy equine fly sprays with citronella, lavender or eucalyptus oils because according to one of the people on equine-l that "...it looks like the "manufacturers" of a number of essential oils and similar didn't want to go to the time and trouble to test them to meet the regulatory standards for biocidal substances. Things like citronella are currently "identified", but not "notified". I think you could still (legally) get the essential oils and mix them up yourself."

There were 2 links referenced in the different postings on equine-l:

1. HorseActive

2. Government which keeps timing out on me so I'm not sure what all is there but this was quoted in the equine-l posting:

"What is Identification and Notification and what is the difference
between an identified and a notified existing biocidal active substance?
The First Review Regulation (EC/1896/2000) required producers and/or
formulators of biocidal active substances to inform the EU Commission by
28 March 2002 of their intentions with respect to the biocides review
programme. They could either identify or notify an existing active
substance.

Identification

If industry did not intend to support an active substance through the
BPD review programme they had the option to Identify that substance by
providing the information specified in Annex I of the First Review
Regulation. Identification was a relatively simple procedure in which
essential information on the identity, uses etc of the active substance
had to be sent to the European Chemicals Bureau (ECB). Identification
allowed biocidal products containing that substance to continue to be
marketed during a 'phase-out' period, which requires such products to
have been removed from the EU market by 1 September 2006.

Notification

An active substance could be Notified where industry intended to support
it through the BPD's review programme for possible inclusion in Annex I.
They had to supply the information specified in Annex II of the First
Review Regulation to the European Chemicals Bureau (ECB). A Notification
required submission of summary data on the essential hazards and it
required that in the next phase of the review a full dossier is to be
provided of all the data and other information needed for the evaluation
of the active substance for possible inclusion in Annex I. These
notified substances are listed, along with the product types the
Notifier intended to support them in, in Annex II of the Second Review
Regulation and an updated list in Annex II of the Third Review
Regulation. Biocidal Products marketed in the notified product types can
stay on the market until the actives have been reviewed and it is
decided whether or not they are included on Annex I of the BPD."

A heads-up for Audrey...

Terrie
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/faqs....ndnotification, which keeps timing out on me

Worked for me all right: it's a really long FAQ on the Biocidal Products Directive produced from the UK Health & Safety Executive. Perhaps there's a little doubt about the effectiveness of lavender, citronella, and eucalyptus oils as a fly deterrent: some people want to kill the flies, not just annoy them.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:42 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Just found out that apparently in the UK (and perhaps the EU), that as of September you will no longer be able to buy equine fly sprays with citronella, lavender or eucalyptus oils because according to one of the people on equine-l that [i]"...it looks like the "manufacturers" of a number of essential oils and similar didn't want to go to the time and trouble to test them to meet the regulatory standards for biocidal substances.
There are quite a lot of herbal and alternative remedies that are going to be banned. Frequently it's because the companies can't afford to fund the testing. It's yet another of those laws supported by big business and the drug companies must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Here's quote from the government faq:

Quote:
So despite the name 'biocide', a biocidal product does not actually have to kill. If it is used to destroy, deter, make harmless, or control a harmful organism by chemical or biological means it maybe considered to be a biocide. For example a repellent used to 'deter' a mosquito could be considered to be a biocidal product.
Audrey plans to feed Etta a Marmite sandwich each day as that is supposed to be very effective in keeping away midges and mosquitoes. I wonder if Marmite will be on the banned list.

An example of the ridiculous nature of these new laws is the use of soapy water to get rid of greenfly on plants. It's now illegal to use soapy water to get rid of greenfly and it's illegal to promote its use. Popular Radio 4 gardening programmes have now to advise people to wash their plants with soapy water (which is OK) -- should it also happen to get rid of the greenfly then that is an unintended by-product of the cleaning process. Soap is not on the list of approved products for insect control.

www.welshframing.com