DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
RJ Emery

Default Convertng WPG Clipart Images

On a one-time basis, I wish to convert WordPerfect Clipart in WPG format to JPG or GIF.

1) What freeware utility or utilities would enable me to accomplish that?

2) How can I view the clipart in WPG format?

Brother MFC-8840DN Printer/Scanner/Fax
RJ Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

Have you looked into the graphic software you already have. For example, do you have Corel Draw or ThumbsPlus. Also, I'm curious why you want to convert a wpg (vector) to a jpg (bitmap). Is this for use on a specific project, but you plan to keep the wpg version in an archive.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
RJ Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Have you looked into the graphic software you already have. For example, do you have Corel Draw or ThumbsPlus. Also, I'm curious why you want to convert a wpg (vector) to a jpg (bitmap). Is this for use on a specific project, but you plan to keep the wpg version in an archive.
I tried PSP 7, but it could not handle WPG formats. I don't have Corel Draw or Thumbs Plus. The archive is on CD, but once converted to JPG or GIF, I would keep what I need for the specific project at hand. PSP is my mainstay viewer and image editor, and I need to get the clipart into a format suitable for it.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

One thing I strongly suggest. Do not discard your wpg files. They are in a vector format, which means that you can scale to 40x40 pixels or 1000x1000 pixels with zero loss in quality. Once you convert them to Jpeg, GIF, Tiff, PNG, etc. you lose that ability. So, the solution is to retain all your wpg files as they are. And when you need one for use in PSP, make a converted copy to the size of bitmap image you need.

I just noticed that you use WordPerfect 8. That is a Suite version and it comes with Presentations. You can open wpg files in Presentations and save them to formats that PSP understands. Just tell it what size you want when you save. Then all that is left is to find a free easy viewer. There might be one in WordPerfect I forgot about, or a free one on the Internet.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

I did a quick Google and found a couple of supposedly free viewer programs listed here : http://www.prospector.cz/Freeware/Gr...awing/Viewing/

and read that the Microsoft Media Player PlugIn allows IrfanView to read the following formats: ... WPG, ...

- but you need to track that plugin down, as it seems not to be listed on the IrfanView site.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

RJ, I just remembered something. There is a utility that comes with WordPerfect called Scrapbook, and it lets you browse thumbnail versions of the clipart and photos that come with WordPerfect. Scrapbook can be launched from within Presentations, and I'm pretty sure it was there in version 8.

Try this. Start Presentations. From the menu, select Insert|Graphics|Clipart. You should end up seeing a list on the left of clipart categories, and thumbnails on the right of the clipart. Browse the thumbnails until you find what you want. Click the Insert button and then the Close button. This brings you back into Presentations. Then just do a Save-As to a good bitmap format for PSP.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
RJ Emery

Andrew,

Good suggestion, but it didn't work out. I was able to invoke Scrapbook, but then I found most of the images were collected in *.scb files. While I could access a single image, converting it to JPG format proved impossible.

I am giving up on the WP Clipart collection. Since I had it, I thought I would try to make use of it, but it is too arcane, too cumbersome. Thanks anyway for tyring to help.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Okay, but I should mention one other thing. I searched the Internet and found a couple statements that PaintShop Pro can open wpg files. One mentioned going to File|Open and setting the file type mask to WordPerfect Vector. So if you do have some WPG files that are not imbedded into scb files, you might want to give that a try.

Anyway, you got me looking more closely at my computer. It looks like the last version of WordPerfect I bought was called Family Pack 4. It is based on WP 10 and came with a slew of wpg files that I didn't know I had.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 07-06-2006 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Corrected WP version number to "10"
Old 07-07-2006, 02:48 AM   #9
RJ Emery

Andrew,

As it turns out, PSP 7 can indeed handle WPG files. I was quite surprised. When I first checked for that format, I did not see it. Unfortunately, as I have also discovered, most of the WordPerfect Clipart is packed in the form of Scrapbook *.scb files, which PSP nor any of my other viewers seems capable of reading.

Unfortunately, while through Scrapbook I can select an image and insert it into a WP document or Presentations file, from there I have not found a way to save that image in any other format. With or without Scrapbook, I don't think the WP Clipart collection to be worth further effort.

Once again, I thank you and others herein for all the suggestions.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Emery
Unfortunately, while through Scrapbook I can select an image and insert it into a WP document or Presentations file from there I have not found a way to save that image in any other format
I'm looking at my copy of Presentations 10. I insert the clipart into an empty document and then do a save-as. Are you saying Version 8 of Presentations cannot do save-as? Or is it the file types that are lacking? What is the actual problem?

Also, did you check your CDs. I wonder if they offer two choice. An SCP file or loose WPG.